Review of The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alan Shore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alan-shore.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by Alan Shore »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Gary Robinson's "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" is a gripping story of friendship and atonement. The book, which is broken up into three sections, explores the lives of Gary, a young guy battling personal issues, and Duke Reynolds, a troubled swordsman. Gary's troubles echo Duke's as he battles addiction and adversity while becoming famous in the circus. Robinson's moving narrative compassionately addresses addiction while capturing the unadulterated core of their lives. Over several decades, Duke and Gary develop an unlikely friendship that shows how resilient people can be. Themes of friendship, second chances, and the potential for human redemption are all explored in this moving story.

The way that Duke and Gary's friendship is portrayed in "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" captivates my emotions, and I find it to be authentic. I find the realistic character development, especially that of Duke and Gary, to be quite relatable, which keeps me interested. They become more than simply characters when I see how much they change during the story; they become people I care about. The honest portrayal of addiction mixed with the examination of concepts like friendship and atonement makes for an engaging and thought-provoking experience. With each page, the narrative skillfully transports me to a realm where the intricacies of interpersonal interactions are revealed.

This book has some heavy themes of addiction and personal hardships, which can be emotionally taxing. For this reason, I found it to be unlikable. When combined with Gary's chaotic existence, the intense depiction of Duke's struggles with addiction becomes rather overwhelming. For example, viewers looking for a lighter narrative may not be interested in Duke's somber and emotionally taxing portrayal of his fall into addiction following his rise to renown as a sword swallower.

This book has a rating of four out of five stars from me. It is an exceptional book because of its genuine character development, subject study, and captivating depiction of Duke and Gary's friendship. However, the strong themes of addiction took away a star since they could be too emotionally taxing for certain people. This book is recommended for readers who appreciate compelling friendships, and realistic character development and are open to exploring themes of addiction and redemption. This book was exceptionally edited.

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Udochukwu Ozoekwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-udochukwu-ozoekwe-1.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Udochukwu Ozoekwe »

Captivating characters and a richly detailed world make this novel a must-read for fantasy lovers."
itz sticon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itz-sticon.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by itz sticon »

Yet, the pacing drags in parts, detracting from the overall impact of the message.
Itzanda Sticon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itzanda-sticon.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Itzanda Sticon »

The only thing that was off for me about this book was the use of foul language and how excessive drinking was repeatedly mentioned
Cole Reyes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cole-reyes.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Cole Reyes »

This book talks all about mentorship, if not for the role the sword swallower played in the life of the chico kid, there may not have been any room for redemption
Comr Steve miracle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comr-steve-miracle.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Comr Steve miracle »

I love the way this book talked on life most crucial comments, The sword swallower was a constant admiration for me, despite his past
Van Bronski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-van-bronski.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Van Bronski »

An emotional rollercoaster that had me laughing, crying, and everything in between. A truly unforgettable reading experience.
Michael Uther
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-uther.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Michael Uther »

This book deserves a movie adaptation. The way it toches around life issues was epic. The emotions were overwhelming
Xin Boy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xin-boy.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Xin Boy »

I book that deals with alcohol and methamphetamine. Drug use was a major part of this book and it was inspiring
Kimberley West
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberley-west.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kimberley West »

I despise this book because of how the author choose to divide it into parts. Not my type of book tho
Raheem Drinkwater
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raheem-drinkwater.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Raheem Drinkwater »

Duke and Gary friendship is the real definition of a good friend. Duke being a mentor despite being a trouble man was amazing
Ebube Steve
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebube-steve.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Ebube Steve »

I don't think I found anything to dislike about this book, it was just so perfect and the story line of duke was sparked up by the act of swallowing swords
Andre Johnson 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andre-johnson-4.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Andre Johnson 4 »

Captivating storytelling and rich character development make this book a must-read. 5 stars
Ebube Promise
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebube-promise.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Ebube Promise »

The book concentrates on heavy teams like alcohol and addiction, but I think the story line was exceptional
Promise Ebube
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-promise-ebube.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Promise Ebube »

This book had the ability to glue you to the pages. I am curious about duke and hi is teacher. Your review is quite nice.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”