Review of Kalayla

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Robert Cortes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-cortes.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of Kalayla

Post by Robert Cortes »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Eleven-year-old Kalayla, a headstrong girl with a bi-racial background, navigates life with a sassy attitude and a self-reliant spirit. Her widowed mother, Maureen, works tirelessly to support them while wrestling with a painful secret: her estrangement from her family for marrying Kalayla's deceased father. Across the hall lives Lena, a lonely 72-year-old woman haunted by the losses in her own life. Concerned about Kalayla, Lena reaches out to both mother and daughter, forging an unlikely bond. As their friendship blossoms, Maureen faces a difficult choice: reveal the truth about her family or risk further betrayal from her daughter. Meanwhile, Lena finds a renewed sense of purpose in supporting these two women. Through shared experiences and heartfelt conversations, all three characters embark on a journey of self-discovery and healing.

"Kalayla" is a heartwarming story about three unlikely friends: a young bi-racial girl, a widowed mother, and an elderly woman. Each grappling with their own struggles, they find solace and support in their unexpected connection. It delves into the complexities of family, friendship, and forgiveness. It's a story told from three distinct perspectives, offering a rich tapestry of emotions and experiences.

The book's strength lies in its chapter structure. Each chapter focuses on a single character: Kalayla, the sassy and independent eleven-year-old; Maureen, her struggling single mother; and Lena, the lonely yet observant elderly neighbor. This allows readers to see the world through each character's eyes, fostering a deeper understanding of their motivations, fears, and dreams.

The story tackles relevant and sometimes difficult themes. Loneliness, grief, and the sting of racism all play a part in shaping the characters' lives. Perhaps most poignant is the exploration of family estrangement. Maureen, ostracized by her family for marrying outside her race, grapples with the weight of her secret and the potential consequences of revealing it to her daughter. Through these powerful narratives, Kalayla offers a nuanced look at family dynamics, highlighting the importance of love, commitment, and ultimately, forgiveness.

The characters themselves are a compelling draw. Kalayla, with her sharp tongue and independent spirit, is a force to be reckoned with. Yet, beneath the bravado lies a vulnerability that endears her to the reader. Maureen and Lena are equally well-developed. Maureen's struggles as a single parent resonate with anyone who has faced similar challenges, while Lena's search for connection and purpose adds a layer of emotional depth.

I don't have anything to dislike about this book, so I'm rating it 5 out of 5 stars. Also, I've found no grammar errors in it, which is evidence that it's exceptionally well-edited. Kalayla is a worthwhile read. The unique narrative structure, relatable characters, and exploration of universal themes make it a story that stays with you long after you turn the last page. It's particularly recommended for parents, educators, and older teens, or anyone interested in a story about navigating life's challenges, building strong bonds, and ultimately, finding a place where you belong. While the language choices might be a bit rough around the edges, the characters' journeys and the lessons learned make Kalayla a heartwarming and thought-provoking read.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
R Chinaza Onwuka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-chinaza-onwuka.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by R Chinaza Onwuka »

The story tackles tough issues like racism, grief, and loneliness, but its most powerful theme is family estrangement. Maureen's secret about her family adds tension, making you yearn for a resolution. "Kalayla" offers a beautiful message about love, forgiveness, and the importance of family, however unconventional it may be.

The characters are captivating. Kalayla's wit and vulnerability win you over, while Maureen and Lena's journeys resonate deeply.
Sunday N Florence
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-n-florence.html
Latest Review: The Atlantis Cure by Pierce Roberts

Post by Sunday N Florence »

The novel is structured to offer unique perspectives from each of the main characters, enriching the reader's understanding of their internal worlds. Kalayla's defiance and independence, Maureen's battle with her past and present as a single mother, and Lena's quest for connection and purpose are all poignantly portrayed.
Scholastica Daniel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Breaking the Mold
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scholastica-daniel.html
Latest Review: If... and other stories by Claire Frieze

Post by Scholastica Daniel »

For an eleven year old to be an independent girl she must have learnt to survive on her own from an early stage and then a struggling single mother and an old woman is an unlikely mixed but the connection they have despite their various struggles is amazing. I will check out this book.
Sinachi Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sinachi-azuka.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Sinachi Azuka »

The main character made the story appealing. She can serve as an example most especially for the hardworking part. I enjoyed reading the summary and I agree with the recommendations.
obinna Sharon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obinna-sharon.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by obinna Sharon »

I haven't read this book but it sounds interesting. The book looks beautiful. I will give this book a pass. Welldone.
Ivan Kovic
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-kovic.html
Latest Review: The Truth Is Beyond Belief! by Jerry Durr

Post by Ivan Kovic »

While the reviewer notes the discomfort some readers might feel due to the heavy themes, they also praise the book's ability to depict real-life struggles and the importance of forgiveness and self-discovery.
Joy Stanley
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-stanley.html
Latest Review: Young Americans by Peter S. Rush

Post by Joy Stanley »

Kalayla is one child I enjoyed reading her story. This book kept me engaged. I wanted to learn more about the mother.
Goodness Kene
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-kene.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Goodness Kene »

I wonder what the revolution to family estrangement, racism, loneliness or depression would be. This seems like a really soothing story.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”