Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Robert Cortes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-cortes.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Robert Cortes »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Tina Dreffin, in "Bluewater Walkabout," writes about her life experiences, featuring the many instances of not-so-good moments she suffered at the hands of her superiors, boyfriend, and in her personal life. Some of these instances include cases of rape from her boyfriend, sexual assault when looking for jobs, and the abortion she's had. She used to question her life and was generally unhappy as she relived the past in her head. One day, she thought of embarking on a weird experience that could shake up the haunting memories. She then discovered her passion for adventure. Despite sounding unbelievable to her family whenever she discusses what she yearns for, her husband, Peter, proves supportive, and both design the South Pacific Expedition, where the family would go on a voyage over deadly oceans and places in South Africa. Sam and Garry, her children's friends, would also be joining the family on this voyage. As transformational as this plan seems to Tina, she risks putting her family on the brink of destruction; however, she's intent on daring it. Launch into the book "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin and have a first-hand experience of the family’s dreadful expedition.

The first thing that captivated me in the book was the narrator's excitement that oozed out of the text. The author crafted this book in such a way that it depicts her emotions, characterizing how she feels about her life when struggling to erase the memories of her past life. She's not ashamed to write about everything she's gone through, including the most hideous ones that show how naive she has been. Her clear expression of thoughts and engaging writing style present the book as relatable, immersing readers in her world. Now, based on the experience the family had while on the expedition to the Caribbean, I will say I enjoyed reading about it as well. The experience provides an engaging reading experience as I watch the family dare dangerous happenings, especially when Tina meets the great barracuda. This book fulfills my need for action and tension-inducing scenes.

One element disrupts my enjoyment and easy comprehension of Tina's message in the book. She narrates her story while bouncing back and forth on the timeline of events she discusses. I need to do lots of mental work to functionally join the discussed happenings together. This is the reason I'll be removing a star from my rating of the book. Otherwise, the book is interesting to read when talking about its writing style, which exudes an engaging tone. Also, I only found a typo, which means the book is professionally edited.

Considering this analysis, I'll rate the book 4 out of 5 stars. The book is suitable for lovers of memoirs that feature the author's transition from bad days to better days. Generally, readers who love to delve into other people's lives to understand their experiences will enjoy what they find in this book.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
R Chinaza Onwuka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-chinaza-onwuka.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by R Chinaza Onwuka »

The author's raw honesty shines through, from painful memories to moments of naivety. Her relatable writing style makes you feel like you're right there with her. The Caribbean adventure is thrilling - especially Tina's encounter with the barracuda! It delivers the action and tension I crave.
Sunday N Florence
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-n-florence.html
Latest Review: The Atlantis Cure by Pierce Roberts

Post by Sunday N Florence »

The author's raw and honest narration, combined with her clear and engaging writing style, immerses readers in her emotional journey. The family's dangerous voyage, including tense encounters like meeting a great barracuda, provides an action-packed and relatable reading experience.
Scholastica Daniel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Breaking the Mold
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scholastica-daniel.html
Latest Review: If... and other stories by Claire Frieze

Post by Scholastica Daniel »

One of the things I love about a good book is when the author is able to make you not only visualise the scenes but makes you feel every moment and the author is able to carry you along. That for me is a page turner. I can't wait this read this book.
Sinachi Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sinachi-azuka.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Sinachi Azuka »

This book is so touching. It isn't easy to share stories like this but here is a difference. I would love to get a copy and learn from the stories of Tina.
obinna Sharon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obinna-sharon.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by obinna Sharon »

I will definitely love to read a book concerning Africa. I hope this book exceeds my expectations . fantastic review you have here. The book cover seem unique and has a lot to say about the book.
Ivan Kovic
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-kovic.html
Latest Review: The Truth Is Beyond Belief! by Jerry Durr

Post by Ivan Kovic »

The book seems like a great way to gain a new appreciation for the importance of cultural exchange and understanding in building bridges between different communities.
Joy Stanley
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-stanley.html
Latest Review: Young Americans by Peter S. Rush

Post by Joy Stanley »

Despite everything she went through Tina was relentless and you could see that it did pay off at the end
Goodness Kene
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-kene.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Goodness Kene »

I admire her realisation to intentionally find a way to heal. I also admire than she took her supportive family along.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”