Review of The Legacy of Job's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Robert Cortes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-cortes.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of The Legacy of Job's Wife

Post by Robert Cortes »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Legacy of Job's Wife" by Cynthia Koelker.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"The Legacy of Job's Wife: A Story of Love and Forgiveness" by Cynthia Koelker is a historical fiction that mirrors the biblical account of Job and his wife. The story is written in the first-person perspective of Ix'ises as she pours out her emotions, questioning the omnipotence and love of God, and revealing her love life with Job and the ups and downs in their family as a couple. From the day Ix'ises was born, Job had loved her, often carrying her to take a good look at her. Job was just five years old when Ix'ises was born, yet he held onto his love for her until they grew older and eventually married. Their love life is punctuated by abundant living and expressions of true love for each other. The only difference between Job and Ix'ises is their conviction about who God is. To Job, God is a loving father and omnipotent, while to Ix'ises, the idea of God as a living father is unclear, leading her to question and doubt God, His love, and power, especially when she resents the day her lamb fell into a well. At a point in their family life as a couple, Job falls very sick, and everything they've acquired starts disappearing. Then, Ix'ises tells Job to curse God and die.

This book is written in a relatable style, exuding excitement, doubt, resentment, and appreciation of the good love life shared between partners. I love how the writing sounds lyrical and is arranged as such. I was able to feel the heart and mind of the writer, immersing myself in her world and inner struggles. Ix'ises's resentment toward God plays out in the book, and readers would quickly journey into her soul, eager to unravel how she resolves her rage against God. Ix'ises is not happy, as the loving God kept watching her lose her cherished lamb and also watched her beloved husband lose his health. Her rage against God is justified and has a concrete base. However, is it right and correct for a person to rage against God?

The book also includes suspense in its narrative. For example, I was on the edge of my seat when Ix'ises was about to be married off to another man whom she probably wouldn't love in the long run. Fans of romantic narration would enjoy this book because it features moderate descriptions of romantic scenes, particularly in the passionate moments between Job and Ix'ises.

I don't have anything to dislike about this book. I love the writing style, the story arc, and the intelligence with which it is presented. Additionally, I found no grammar errors in it; it is exceptionally well-edited. Considering these factors, I'll rate the book 5 out of 5 stars.

The Legacy of Job's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
R Chinaza Onwuka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-chinaza-onwuka.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by R Chinaza Onwuka »

"The Legacy of Job's Wife" is a fresh take on a familiar story. Told from Ix'ises's perspective, it explores love, loss, and doubt. We see her deep love for Job and their happy life together. But tragedy strikes, and Ix'ises questions her faith. Her anger feels real and relatable.

The writing is beautiful and engaging, drawing you into Ix'ises's world. The story is suspenseful, and there's even a touch of romance.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This is a book that definitely has to be fiction. There is absolutely no reference to her in the Bible except for the reference to cursing God. It is difficult for any of us to understand why God would allow so much suffering. Thanks!
Sunday N Florence
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-n-florence.html
Latest Review: The Atlantis Cure by Pierce Roberts

Post by Sunday N Florence »

The narrative delves into the love story between Job and Ix'ises, starting from their childhood and leading to their marriage. Despite their deep love, they differ significantly in their views of God: Job sees God as a loving and omnipotent father, while Ix'ises is filled with doubt and resentment towards God, especially when she faces personal losses and witnesses Job's suffering.
Sinachi Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sinachi-azuka.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Sinachi Azuka »

I don't fancy lengthy books but seeing it was well-edited and no dislikes, I would love to read it. This book will teach perseverance and I look forward to get a copy soon
obinna Sharon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obinna-sharon.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by obinna Sharon »

Nice book. I'm looking forward to reading this. I love how you arranged 3ach points stated in your review. Welldone.
Ivan Kovic
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-kovic.html
Latest Review: The Truth Is Beyond Belief! by Jerry Durr

Post by Ivan Kovic »

I love how the review captures the essence of Ix'ises' emotional journey and her complex relationship with God and Job.
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: The Assignment by Shayla C. Freeman

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

I have always read the story of Job but never have I come across a story that had his wife as the protagonist. Can’t wait to read.
Goodness Kene
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-kene.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Goodness Kene »

Telling Job to curse God was the only significant thing about Job's wife in the Bible. I ready wonder why, and if she later saw the manifestation of God and enjoyed the blessings with him. I would like to have a read. Nice review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”