Review by Stephanie Elizabeth -- Final Notice

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Review by Stephanie Elizabeth -- Final Notice

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We have all heard people emphasize the importance of living every day to the fullest and enjoying every moment. These things are said in the hopes that they will prepare and help us accept our inevitable demise. The truth is, no one can really be prepared for it when death comes knocking. Unless of course, we are given a warning. Our own personal countdown to our final day.

What would you do in your final days? Would you say good-bye to loved ones and make appropriate arrangements? Would you spend all your money on that trip you have always wanted to take? Maybe the notice would take you to a much darker place. Would you seek revenge if you knew there would be no repercussions?

In Final Notice, the author describes a world where senseless acts of violence are taken out on the most vulnerable groups. Senior citizens, women, and minorities are the targets of brutality, leaving them feeling helpless. The use of guns for protection is encouraged to every American, and the NRA is adding fuel to the fire, by reiterating the importance of the second amendment. They are even providing a discount to seniors purchasing guns. Meanwhile, technology is rapidly improving, and a new sports watch called, VT2 is on the market. This product promises to be the next best thing, measuring its user’s vitals and even giving them a 30-day death notice. The purpose of the notice is to provide the user with adequate time to say good-bye to loved ones and finalize any end-of-life arrangements. Unfortunately, there is a problem. Several unexplained shootings causing death have been reported throughout the country. Upon further analysis, it seems they have one connection, the VT2.

Final Notice by Van Fleisher had my complete attention from start to finish. I thought this book was extremely relevant to the current state of the world. Mass shootings continue to plague the country, but citizens are reluctant to give up their guns. In the book, scare tactics are used to promote the NRA’s agenda. Sell more guns. Although this is a fiction book, the issues addressed are so relatable.

The thing I enjoyed most about Final Notice was its emphasis on choice and moral dilemma. When characters are given the 30-day death notice, they are angry and looking for retribution. Many of them own guns and are desperate to channel that anger. The author does a fantastic job describing the inner battle that these characters face.

I connected to each of the characters, but in particular, Trudi. She was a strong woman, who took pride in being a good citizen and always doing the right thing. However, when a series of unfortunate events negatively impacted her family, her morals were thoroughly tested.

The book was well-edited and I did not find any errors. The author definitely had my attention and I read the book quickly. I give the book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to anyone living in the United States right now. Politicians, educators, immigrants, supporters of the NRA, and activists would all benefit from reading this book.

I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of this exciting book!

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Stephanie Elizabeth's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Testing
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's definitely an interesting concept. A watch that lets you know when your death is close. It does make you think about what people would do. Your review is intriguing, and I'm glad to see you enjoyed the book. Thanks for your thoughts.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Stephanie Elizabeth

kandscreeley wrote: 07 May 2019, 08:17 It's definitely an interesting concept. A watch that lets you know when your death is close. It does make you think about what people would do. Your review is intriguing, and I'm glad to see you enjoyed the book. Thanks for your thoughts.
Yes, I thought it was quite a unique premise for a story! The concept is definitely a conversation starter! Thanks for your comment!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I agree, this story is very relevant in today's world.
I really enjoyed this review, thanks!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Stephanie Elizabeth

Bianka Walter wrote: 08 May 2019, 03:19 I agree, this story is very relevant in today's world.
I really enjoyed this review, thanks!
Thanks very much for your comment!
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

This book is very relevant and I also enjoyed it. Great review!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Delaney35 wrote: 08 May 2019, 08:36 This book is very relevant and I also enjoyed it. Great review!
Thank you!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I also read this book and enjoyed it. There were so many plots occurring simultaneously, that it made for a very fast read. And I appreciate your very engaging and insightful review! Great job!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I read this book as well and I also enjoyed it. I agree with the author that there are too many guns in the hands of the wrong people. Less violence and more compassion are needed. Thank you for a wonderful review!
unamilagra
Currently Reading: The Dry
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Such an interesting concept for a novel. Personally, I can't imagine wasting any time in the last weeks of my life seeking revenge, but I like your comment about Trudi, which makes me think that maybe in the right circumstances my outlook would change. Great review!
Stephanie Elizabeth

unamilagra wrote: 09 May 2019, 18:02 Such an interesting concept for a novel. Personally, I can't imagine wasting any time in the last weeks of my life seeking revenge, but I like your comment about Trudi, which makes me think that maybe in the right circumstances my outlook would change. Great review!
Thanks for your comment!
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

Final Notice is a fast-read action packed novel. It focuses on acts persons commit during their final days on earth. Do they choose to do good or do they seek revenge? Interesting concept but not far from reality. I appreciate you review.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 93562
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 2114%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

the book follows a great many characters all having their own personality and involvement in one way .. such a page turner

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”