Review of "Some Good Writ: Christmas, Cancer, Dad, Wine, Sex and Jeff"

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Review of "Some Good Writ: Christmas, Cancer, Dad, Wine, Sex and Jeff"

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

[Following is a volunteer review of ""Some Good Writ: Christmas, Cancer, Dad, Wine, Sex and Jeff"" by Jeffrey Bailey.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In 'Christmas, Cancer, Dad, Wine, Sex and Jeff' by Jeffrey Bailey, readers are taken on an emotional rollercoaster through the highs and lows of life's journey. With a poignant blend of vulnerability and resilience, Bailey invites us into his world, where each page resonates with raw honesty and heartfelt emotion.

From the very first page, it's evident that Bailey's storytelling is not just about recounting experiences but about inviting readers to join him on a deeply personal exploration of love, loss, and the pursuit of meaning. The title may seem eclectic, but it serves as a perfect reflection of the multifaceted nature of life itself, where joyous moments intertwine with moments of profound challenge.

At the heart of the narrative lies the theme of family, which is portrayed with both tenderness and complexity. Bailey's relationship with his father emerges as a central thread, illustrating the depth of connection and the enduring bond between parent and child. Through his words, we witness the joys and struggles of family life, each anecdote painting a vivid picture of shared experiences and cherished memories.

Yet, amidst the warmth of family ties, Bailey bravely confronts the darker moments of his journey, particularly his battle with cancer. With unflinching candour, he shares the physical and emotional toll of the disease, offering readers a glimpse into the depths of his courage and resilience. In doing so, he not only provides solace to those facing similar struggles but also reminds us of the power of hope in the face of adversity.

What sets 'Christmas, Cancer, Dad, Wine, Sex and Jeff' apart is Bailey's ability to infuse even the most challenging moments with humour and lightness. His witty anecdotes and playful storytelling serve as a beacon of hope, demonstrating the resilience of the human spirit even in the darkest of times. Through wine and sex, he reminds us of the importance of finding joy and pleasure amidst life's trials, embracing moments of happiness wherever they may be found.

Bailey's writing style is as captivating as it is evocative, drawing readers in with vivid descriptions and heartfelt prose. His use of imagery transports us to each moment, allowing us to experience the full spectrum of emotions alongside him. Seamlessly weaving together laughter and tears, he crafts a narrative that is as uplifting as it is poignant, leaving a lasting impact on all who embark on this literary journey.

"Additionally, it's worth noting that the book is exceptionally well edited, and I did not find any errors within its pages. In conclusion, 'Christmas, Cancer, Dad, Wine, Sex and Jeff' is a testament to the resilience of the human spirit and the power of storytelling to inspire, uplift, and heal. Jeffrey Bailey's willingness to bare his soul and share his most intimate experiences makes this book a powerful and unforgettable read. Whether you're seeking solace in the face of adversity or simply looking for a touching and thought-provoking story, this book is sure to leave a lasting impression. With a rating of 5/5, it's a must-read for anyone ready to embark on a journey of self-discovery and healing."

"Some Good Writ: Christmas, Cancer, Dad, Wine, Sex and Jeff"
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

The premise of this book looks interesting, considering the themes it addresses are relevant to the current human issue. Reading your review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this. What a great review.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Quest: Finding Freddie by Thomas Richard Spradlin
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

The unusual title of this book warrants further inspection. Thank you for your insightful review.
Tomi Ahmed
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: A Killer Within by Rosemarie B. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

"Christmas, Cancer, Dad, Wine, Sex and Jeff" by Jeffrey Bailey is an emotional rollercoaster that invites readers on a deeply personal journey through life's highs and lows. With raw honesty and heartfelt emotion, Bailey explores themes of love, loss, and resilience, painting a vivid picture of family bonds and the human spirit's ability to find joy even in the darkest times. His storytelling is both captivating and evocative, leaving a lasting impression on readers. With its blend of vulnerability and humour, this book is a testament to the power of storytelling to inspire and heal. Highly recommended with a 5/5 rating!
Tomi Ahmed
Rajaee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajaee.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Rajaee »

What a review!. Your review has a certain flow of words, like poetry. I forgot to understand the book while reading the review, as I was too indulged in the review itself.
I like the premise of the book. I hope reading this book will leave a lasting impression, like you said.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Priya Murugesan »

This book seems like embarking on an emotional journey, which I am waiting to hop on. A very good review by you!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 69%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

It looks good book with lot of narration about experiences author went through. I like books when author shares their journey to educate others. Good review
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: The elderly Gentleman's Ulyssee by Hans Bodmer

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

I always tell myself that life is a journey where you don't know exactly what to expect. You know your past but have completely no idea of what's gonna happen in the future or even the next five minutes. I would love to read this book because it has some underlying information that I have always wanted to know.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Towne Point Mall
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 64%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

For people with cancer, or their carers, this book might just be what they need. It sounds like Jeff can provide hope and inspiration, through humor, to those going through tough times. Thanks for the excellent review,
Marina Flisvou
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Frank: The Collection by Tara Basi

Post by Marina Flisvou »

I wholeheartedly agree with your review of Bailey's storytelling. His ability to blend vulnerability with resilience, and to share his deeply personal experiences with such raw honesty, makes this book an incredibly powerful read. Your observation about the title reflecting the multifaceted nature of life itself is spot on. It truly captures the diverse and often unexpected twists and turns that life throws at us.
Marina
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

From your review, I gather that the author reminds us of the importance of family, the simple pleasures in life, hope, and a sense of humor. The loss of his father and his personal battle with cancer are part of life's realities. He inspires the reader to deal with these realities with the use of his own anecdotes and humor. Thank you for this well-written and informative review. :techie-studyinggray:
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

Diana Lowery wrote: 18 May 2024, 12:41 The unusual title of this book warrants further inspection. Thank you for your insightful review.
Thank you very much your excellency for your kind feedback, it is very encouraging and supportive . I am really inspired by your work as well.
Jenna Padayachee
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Kybalion
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-padayachee.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Signature Addition: Jenna Padayachee

Post by Jenna Padayachee »

The book title Christmas, Cancer, Dad, Wine, Sex and Jeff' by Jeffrey Bailey is certainly a mouthful.
Your insightful review elaborated on the book's coverage of the joys and pains, experienced in Bailey's world.
The author sounds great in terms of storytelling skills, absorbing the reader into his world through the pages of a well-structured book.
"Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power." Lao Tzu
Jenna Padayachee
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 95
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

That is so true. During life's storms we forget how to live in the moment and actually focus on what is at hand which is to live. It is often a forgotten experience to be in the moment when adversity comes. Well done on your review. I'll try reading this one
Be yourself and nothing less
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fantastic Voyage II
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

A self-discovery book that explores a number of themes, from disease to family bonds. Good and bad periods of one's life are considered, stressing the importance of little things and what we have. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”