Review of LaBlance Fish Tales Two

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Review of LaBlance Fish Tales Two

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

[Following is a volunteer review of "LaBlance Fish Tales Two" by Peter F LaBlance.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I was craving for a book reading that could make me feel as if I was having a real-life experience. This is what exactly happened when I came across the book LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance.

Although Peter F LaBlance crafted the narrative in first-person based on true stories and shared it with the readers, it makes the reader immerse so much into the collection of fish tales that one feels as if he is there with the author living those moments. I am neither a fisherman and nor in any way near this field, however, I remain intensely involved with the story from the start till the end and learned so much about the lives of fishermen

The book is mainly premised on the challenges faced by the author and his family as commercial fishermen. These challenges involved all sorts of things from equipment, technology, finances, and weather. Where these difficulties were not less the more burden was added on by the strict regulations from the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR), and their sportsmen's clubs lobby groups who seemed to attempt to eliminate commercial fishing.

This book is full of inspiring fish tales of courage, mental fortitude, and unflinching determination that despite the plethora of problems of carrying out fishing, the author and his family earned a good name in the fishing industry.This book teaches us a very clear lesson that no matter how hard life is if one never gives up and carries on his efforts, nature will bring success in the end.

The writing style of the book is very engaging and it brings photographic memory into play especially when intense scenes come. For example when a sea storm is coming or when the fish tug is on the verge of destruction. You forget yourself as a reader and feel like doing something to help the crew out of the problem. I must say it feels like a time travel into the journey of the author and his family through this book.

The classic photographs in the book help the reader to visualize certain things very clearly according to that era. It helps in making the mind of a reader more involved in the scenes. So I can say multiple faculties of mind were at play when I was reading this book. My reading memory, my visualizing power, my photographic memory, and last but not least my imagination. It is through the right mixture of certain ingredients of writing style that all of my above-mentioned mental faculties were perfectly engaged to create an adventurous experience through reading this book.

Although this book is much easier to read by people employed in the fishing industry as it encompasses a decent amount of fishing jargon. However, I did not find it hard to understand. Therefore, I can convincingly say anyone interested in reading the real lives of fishermen of the past filled with heroic efforts can easily understand this book. Not only this but it also familiarizes one with a lot of fishing tools and shipping equipment. Due to this, by the time I finished reading this book, I became well acquainted with several new words related to Commercial fishing. This book is for all levels of readers but primarily intermediate English-level readers will find it easier to peruse it as compared to beginners.

I would give this book a 4 star rating out of 5 just because of one fact and that is there are many errors in this book related to spelling which can distract and confuse a reader who is not well versed in English. As for the plot and writing style, it is a perfect book.

Finally, if you are looking to have an engaging experience and want to enjoy a ride through a roller coaster of all sorts of emotions like fear, uncertainty, difficulties, hope and others you should give this book a good read. Indeed it is a kind of time travel into the lives of commercial fishermen of the 1800s through the engaging narrative of the author which serves as providing fuel in the form of photons to the reader to have this time travelling to the past.

LaBlance Fish Tales Two
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

A book about fisherman! Using its historical perspective, this will be an interesting book to delve into. What a wonderful review. Thanks for writing this
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This book seems to detail the art of fishing. Although fishing is not one of my passions, I have done it. It is not as easy as it looks. Commercial fishing is surely much more of a challenge than fishing as a hobby. There must be a lot of regulations. Thanks!
Tomi Ahmed
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: A Killer Within by Rosemarie B. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

This review of *LaBlance Fish Tales Two* by Peter F LaBlance offers a vivid portrayal of the author's immersive narrative style and the engaging experience it provides. Despite not being familiar with the fishing industry, the reviewer found themselves deeply involved in the challenges and triumphs faced by the author and his family as commercial fishermen. They praise the book for its inspiring tales of courage and determination, highlighting its ability to transport readers into the author's world through compelling storytelling and classic photographs.

While the reviewer acknowledges some spelling errors that may distract readers less proficient in English, they still rate the book 4 out of 5 stars for its captivating plot and writing style. They recommend it to readers interested in experiencing a roller coaster of emotions and gaining insights into the lives of commercial fishermen from the past. Overall, the review emphasizes the book's ability to provide an engaging and enlightening journey into a fascinating aspect of history.
Tomi Ahmed
Rajaee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajaee.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Rajaee »

I used to go fishing when I was a kid. Apart from fishing as a hobby, I know a lot about commercial fishing. I live near a coastal area. Even though I don't do this job, a lot of my friends and neighbours go fishing daily as their job. So, I know all about fishing and its techniques. I am extremely excited and interested in reading a book that talks about something I know. I will surely enjoy it.
Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Priya Murugesan »

What an interesting book! I would love to know about fishing. The inclusion of photos is very good. A neat review!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 69%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

It seems good inspirational and guide book to fisherman's or people who love fishing. Well written Review with depth explanation.
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: The elderly Gentleman's Ulyssee by Hans Bodmer

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

Most people think that fishermen have it easy and all they have to do is fish and sale but there is more to it than that. First you have to know where the fish are and not go fishing blind. Also you need to be patient because you can go fishing even for days and not alfijd any fish. U loved reading your review and am glad to know that it felt like a real life experience to you.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Towne Point Mall
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 64%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

I don't really have much interest in fishing; I've failed at it a few times, haha, so I don't think I'm the intended audience for this book. I'm sure though, that many will enjoy it.
Marina Flisvou
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Frank: The Collection by Tara Basi

Post by Marina Flisvou »

Your mention of the challenges faced by the author and his family, especially in the face of regulatory pressures and natural adversities, is spot on. The resilience and determination exhibited by the LaBlance family are truly inspiring and serve as a powerful reminder of the tenacity required to succeed against the odds. The book indeed teaches valuable life lessons about perseverance and the rewards of unwavering effort.
Marina
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

Fishing on the big seas has always been awe-inspiring for me. Only brave human beings get involved in this industry. Your review highlights the author's knack of painting a vivid image of situations encountered by the fishermen. I am inrigued. Thank you for this informative review. :techie-studyinggray:
David Awunor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-awunor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by David Awunor »

I am glad you enjoyed the story even though it has no relation to your field.
Jenna Padayachee
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Kybalion
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-padayachee.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Signature Addition: Jenna Padayachee

Post by Jenna Padayachee »

I do recall reading the sample of this book.
It was captivating, and I liked the addition of photos.
Your review is insightful, and I appreciate your experience.
The experiences of commercial fishing shared through these pages are a rather educative experience for those who are willing to enhance their knowledge on this subject matter through the crafted narrative of Peter F LaBlance.
"Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power." Lao Tzu
Jenna Padayachee
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 95
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

This sounds like an interesting book . I love learning about anything that would bring me closer to water so most definitely tjis wpuld be a great read.
Be yourself and nothing less

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”