Review of A Kitchen Painted in Blood

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Review of A Kitchen Painted in Blood

Post by Priya Murugesan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Kitchen Painted in Blood" by Stephen Ahern.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Kitchen Painted in Blood - The Unsolved Disappearance of Joan Risch by Stephen H. Ahern

This is a True Crime book based on the disappearance of Joan Carolyn Risch, a mother of two, on October 24, 1961 from her home in Lincoln, Massachusetts. It gives a comprehensive account of the whole incident, also encompassing what happened before and after the mysterious vanishing of Joan. How could a devoted mother and a kind-hearted person abandon her entire family and just disappear leaving behind a ghastly bloody kitchen? The whole circumstance is very unsettling and confusing. I have to asseverate that the author did meticulous research about this dreadful tragedy and his effort is apparent throughout the book.

The main intention of the book is to solve the conundrum behind Joan's disappearance. The author urges the readers to adorn the shoes of detectives and unearth the truth. I was indifferent to this and had many questions regarding the need to solve such an old case. But the author's preface convinced me. He has rightly said justice must prevail even though it is delayed.

When I first saw the book, the title "A Kitchen Painted in Blood" is the first thing that captured me. As a lover of mystery books, the name grabbed my attention and made me pick up the book.

The cover of the book is gripping. The photograph of Risch house with a cinematic effect adds an element of interest and mystery.

As a fan of Sherlock Holmes, I loved his quote in the beginning.

The book starts with the foreword by Cliff Shepard, who served as a detective for the Los Angeles Police Department. He was part of the LAPD cold case unit and he was involved in the investigation of many infamous killers like Rodney Acala, Chester Turner and Lonnie Franklin. He puts forth the Risch case before us in the foreword and implores us to inspect and resolve the case.

The author starts his preface with an interesting flashback from his childhood. He recollects about how he came across about the Risch case when he was a child and how it got imprinted in his heart. That compelled him to look into the unresolved case after thirty nine years. He gives a brief account of the case, that starts with the discovery of the disappearance of Joan Risch by her four year old daughter Lillian. He presents us the entire history of the Risch family and their immediate relations. He scrutinizes each and every person related to the case. He ponders over all the possibilities of what might have happened that day. He had made an incredible study about the case and incorporated all the facts in his book. The old photos, various maps and drawings aided him to put forth his findings. It also helps us to conjure a mental image of what had happened in 1961 and took me back to the scene of crime. The detailing level in the book is awesome and rigorous. I was ensnared by the book so much that I felt like I was part of the team trying to solve the crime.

This book will be adored by fans of history as there are many historical facts like American Revolution, Bloody angle which are important to build the foundation for the history behind the Risch home.

The writing is simple, like in a documentary style, yet very elegant. The author had made a detailed analysis of Joan right from her childhood. I highly commend him for such a diligent work. The way the author narrated the case made me sympathize with Joan and her family and made me desperate to uncover the truth.

I noted some grammatical mistakes here and there. But despite the errors, my rating is 4 out of 4. I firmly believe the author deserves this ratings.

I sincerely hope that Joan's mystery would be unraveled and the Risch family would get some sort of closure.

A Kitchen Painted in Blood
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

Your review of this book is thorough and shows that you are a lover of mystery stories. It is amazing that an adult can disappear for so many years without a trace. There will always be a few people who will be touched by this tragedy and make it their mission to find out what happened. The author, Stephen Ahern is one such person. :techie-studyinggray:
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Thanks for reading my review. Yes, I love mysteries :D
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Foundlings and Fisherman from Tumby by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Great job! Your review offers an insightful and captivating glimpse into the unsettling disappearance of Joan Risch. Your appreciation for the author's exhaustive research and narrative skill adds depth to our understanding of this complex case.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Cristina-Ioana Toader wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 01:37 Great job! Your review offers an insightful and captivating glimpse into the unsettling disappearance of Joan Risch. Your appreciation for the author's exhaustive research and narrative skill adds depth to our understanding of this complex case.
Thanks for stopping by and reading my review 😊
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

In the first time, I think this is a kind of fiction. Reading your review make me eager to delve into this book later. Thank you for writing an fantastic review. It encouraged me to choose this book to be reviewed later
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 06 May 2024, 00:24 In the first time, I think this is a kind of fiction. Reading your review make me eager to delve into this book later. Thank you for writing an fantastic review. It encouraged me to choose this book to be reviewed later
Thanks for sharing your views!
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

This review captivates readers with its exploration of the mysterious disappearance of Joan Risch, leaving readers eagerly anticipating the unraveling of the suspenseful tale.
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 69%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

Captivating review, it just pulls me into this book. It shows how you loved this book and enjoyed the thrilling, suspense aspects.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

MAHAD BAIG MIRZA wrote: 27 May 2024, 07:11 This review captivates readers with its exploration of the mysterious disappearance of Joan Risch, leaving readers eagerly anticipating the unraveling of the suspenseful tale.
Thanks for reading my review!
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Harshitha Nayak wrote: 28 May 2024, 13:27 Captivating review, it just pulls me into this book. It shows how you loved this book and enjoyed the thrilling, suspense aspects.
Yes. I enjoyed reading the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”