Review of The House on Tyner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Review of The House on Tyner

Post by Priya Murugesan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The House on Tyner" by Matthew O’Connell.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"The House on Tyner" is a mystery novel with a touch of paranormal activity. It is written by Matthew O'Connell. The protagonist of the story is Jackson Tyler. The main plot of the story is about Tyler seeing apparitions and witnessing spiritual phenomena when he moves to his new home in Incline village. He is a former MLB pitcher who is currently living with his cat Jaya. He had a happy family with a wife and two kids. That phase of his life was over when his wife and two kids were killed in a car accident. After this profound tragedy, he turns to cooking and steps into the next phase of his life. He wishes to move to Incline village in Nevada and open a restaurant there, honoring his wife's wishes. He buys a run-down restaurant in Incline and starts house-hunting. He falls in love with a beautiful house and acquires it not heeding to the alert about the tragedy that haunts the house. He moves into his new home and begins renovations in his new restaurant. But as he was settling down, he starts to see some paranormal activity. To be specific, he encounters a ghost of a little girl. As he is a heavy drinker, he was confused if his mind was imagining things. But after some investigations along with his new friend Lara, he confirms that the sightings are real. He got scared but was also curious about the messages left by the ghost. When he tries to understand more about the ill-fated family and the killings that happened in the house, he unknowingly opens the can of worms. The rest of the story is about whether Tyler uncovers the truth that the ghost was trying to communicate and exposes the crimes that were hidden deep inside.

The captivating opening and the seamless flow of the story made me immerse in it right from the first chapter. The author holds on to the mystery until the ending which hit me out of the blue. I didn't expect such a blow at the end. Even though I felt the book dragged a little after halfway, the impressive ending made up for that more than enough.

Another thing that captured me is the description. The book has vivid descriptions, particularly about the landscapes. I have never been to Incline village. But the book transported me there. I could visualize the pristine snow, the lofty houses, majestic mountains and the blue lake. The characters are very well portrayed. When a person is introduced, the author describes them meticulously so that I could form a mental image of that person. Even the vehicles mentioned in the story had good detailing. The author is very skillful in descriptions and it stood out in his writing.

The ghost in this story is not a scary one which is normally portrayed in spooky books. But it gives enough chills to make it terrifying. It is just a ghost of a small girl but the author describes in such a way that it is both horrifying and fascinating. He uses the paranormal element as an addition to the mystery element and it works out effectively.

The writing style is simple yet elegant. Also, the book has a good comical sense. The whole reading experience was enthralling for me and I really took pleasure in reading it.

I recommend this book for all mystery, thriller and paranormal lovers. There are some profane words not suitable for young readers and some violence is also there but the spice level of the book is very low. The editing is also pretty good and professional.

I would give a rating of 4 out of 4 for this book as I didn't find any negative issues in this book.

The House on Tyner
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

This is a thorough review of The House on Tyner. The author's descriptive and vivid writing keeps the reader engaged. The story of a man who lost his wife and family in a tragic car accident and tries to move on with his life by buying a house haunted by a small girl is a great plot. :techie-studyinggray:
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Thanks for your review. The story has a great plot and I enjoyed reading it.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Foundlings and Fisherman from Tumby by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Excellent work. Your review is captivating, masterfully capturing the essence of the narrative with its intriguing mix of mystery and paranormal elements. I particularly appreciated the detailed portrayal of the protagonist's journey. Your passion for the story is evident, rendering your recommendation irresistible to fans of the genre.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Cristina-Ioana Toader wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 01:52 Excellent work. Your review is captivating, masterfully capturing the essence of the narrative with its intriguing mix of mystery and paranormal elements. I particularly appreciated the detailed portrayal of the protagonist's journey. Your passion for the story is evident, rendering your recommendation irresistible to fans of the genre.
Yes. I loved reading this book. Thanks for reading my review and sharing your wonderful thoughts 😊
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

As a fellow reader, I can resonate with your experience while reading this book. I agree with most of your perspectives here, that this book is well-written. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Glad we can resonate in the book reading experience here.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 06 May 2024, 00:23 As a fellow reader, I can resonate with your experience while reading this book. I agree with most of your perspectives here, that this book is well-written. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Glad we can resonate in the book reading experience here.
Thanks for reading my review!
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

I enjoyed the vivid descriptions of the landscapes, particularly of Incline village, which transported me to the setting of the story.Additionally, the captivating opening and seamless flow of the story held my attention from the first chapter to the surprising ending.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

MAHAD BAIG MIRZA wrote: 27 May 2024, 07:13 I enjoyed the vivid descriptions of the landscapes, particularly of Incline village, which transported me to the setting of the story.Additionally, the captivating opening and seamless flow of the story held my attention from the first chapter to the surprising ending.
Glad that you too loved it!
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 69%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

Till date, i never read ghost books as I have strong belief that ghost books scare more than movie. But, as you mentioned it's a friendly ghost, i may try to read about this. Good review.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Harshitha Nayak wrote: 28 May 2024, 13:29 Till date, i never read ghost books as I have strong belief that ghost books scare more than movie. But, as you mentioned it's a friendly ghost, i may try to read about this. Good review.
Do try this book. Thanks for reading my review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”