Review by mayowakinsola -- From Drift to SHIFT

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mayowakinsola
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayowakinsola.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Review by mayowakinsola -- From Drift to SHIFT

Post by mayowakinsola »

[Following is a volunteer review of "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From drift to shift is a book that talks about the challenges we all face and aims to guide us through a step by step process to overcoming these challenges, by using the stories of various people and their diverse experiences to show how to make the necessary changes needed for fulfilment and happiness we all want in life.

What I love most about the book is the way the stories are told, they are told in a way that makes you share in the ups and downs of the people who experienced it . It makes you see through the mask that most people wear, I know we are all told that money does not guarantee happiness but seeing that through a real life story makes you understand it better, it redefines your standard of success which will likely be opposite of the world's standard of success. The book revealed the fact that if success is based on the world's standard it's going to make you miserable but if it is based on who you are suppose to be it would give you happiness.

Though the book has a wonderful theme the way it tries to buttress it's points are just not good enough, apart from the stories which are good except for some unnecessary parts like the Amazon rainforest rituals and the thing about the Indian gods and the fact that the writer was presenting them in a way that they can lead to self discovery which I don't agree with, the lessons listed at the end of each chapter were not what they should be, some sounded like most pep talks we hear everyday and didn't have impact, some felt too external they didn't resonate with the soul and some didn't even seem to come from the chapter.

The book can get a little confusing but the real lessons lie scattered across the stories, and you have to read carefully to find out. The writer used a few Bible verses to try and buttress some points but the way she used them was not good enough, it was too shallow, it was not deep enough.

I would rate the book 2 out of 4 because although the book has a great theme it was not well handled, it was as if the writer was guessing at times and other times it seemed the writer didn't understand her points well enough.

This book is a good book for those who are having difficulties so they can have hope and know that all will be well though I would advice them to read with discretion

From Drift to SHIFT
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like mayowakinsola's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”