Review by IamShing -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Re: Review by IamShing -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

Post by adhambakry »

Thanks for the review! I read the book and adored it. I'm definitely reading the next installments.
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

WardahEbrahim wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 14:13 I agree with this review, the ending was not enough for me and the inconsistencies between character point-of-view narration was distracting. Also, I just can't wrap my head around the era. How can they not have electricity, sword and not machinery, but there are lawyers with court cases and universities and spectacles?
Yeah, but I've come to conclude that everything in this book including the time it takes place is fictional. And it does seem like the only answer right? That Tysz made a world he liked, and that world happened to have features from the past and present along with magic?
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
Fasmin
Currently Reading:

Post by Fasmin »

Sorry, but I can't help but point out that you have quite a few inconsistencies.

First of all, you've only said one of the many stories in the book and have left out the Riva Rohavi, Meldorath, and the trio.

And talking about the one story you have mentioned. The assassin isn't exactly mysterious since the king reveals that it was Marshus, the king got out of that association attempt unscathed, only one knight was injured and he got better in a few minutes because they have magic, the king enforced extra security only for himself and in the palace because he knew Marshus could try to kill him again, and there was but one powerful adversary which alone brought casualties (more or less at once) into story.

I also feel like you gave away too much of the story.
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acalauejo-o.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

actually reading the book, I am enjoying it a lot. great review
Fasmin
Currently Reading:

Post by Fasmin »

Fasmin wrote: 08 May 2021, 02:23 Sorry, but I can't help but point out that you have quite a few inconsistencies.

First of all, you've only said one of the many stories in the book and have left out the Riva Rohavi, Meldorath, and the trio.

And talking about the one story you have mentioned. The assassin isn't exactly mysterious since the king reveals that it was Marshus, the king got out of that association attempt unscathed, only one knight was injured and he got better in a few minutes because they have magic, the king enforced extra security only for himself and in the palace because he knew Marshus could try to kill him again, and there was but one powerful adversary which alone brought casualties (more or less at once) into story.

I also feel like you gave away too much of the story.
Sorry, there was more than one powerful adversary when you consider the Riva Rohavi.
– John Green

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”