Review by Sumaira Zaheer -- Gringo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sumaira Zaheer
Currently Reading: A Little Bit Witchy
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumaira-zaheer.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Review by Sumaira Zaheer -- Gringo

Post by Sumaira Zaheer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I downloaded Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive by Dan ‘Tito’ Davis audiobook skillfully narrated by Peter Conti. I found the book just in time I was looking for something stimulating to listen to other than music, on my several flights I had to take these past months for personal reasons. I was hoping for something that would either keep me distracted throughout the long hours of flight (I hate air travel and can’t sleep) or would be so boring that it would help me fall asleep. I’m glad to say the later was not the case.

In the beginning, I have to say I was bored. I almost stopped playing when I felt it was just a story of white man’s survival in the non-white world based solely on in his white privilege. I was in for a shock. Just few minutes of listening story shifted to a back story of how Dan ‘Tito’ Davis’ the protagonist of the story got involved into selling speed at college. For some time he seemed to made ridiculous amount of money, being at the height at his game at just 24. But eventually gets caught and put in Federal prison, a place where he meets his powerful future accomplices. Although he does try to live a clean life after getting out, but is soon sucked back in his old business and starts selling weed. The money is just too appealing to ignore. Davis, however, is arrested again and this time being framed (by his childhood friend) for selling meth (a drug I definitely know a lot about, thanks to Breaking Bad). This time he’s able to evade authorities and goes into hiding, eventually sliding into Mexico. And that’s where the real story begins.

Dan’s journey of evading authorities starts in Mexico and takes him on roller coaster ride to Columbia where he spends time under the protection of Medelin Cartel. From South America to the madness of Mumbai, Dan Davis was able to survive adversities and life-threatening situations at every turn. I think to survive situations like this you just need sheer good luck. One of the most bone chilling was the encounter with the guerrillas in Columbia where he didn’t know he was going to get killed or not. The whole story was filled with thrilling suspense of being caught at any time for possession fake ids and passports kept me on the edge the whole time. And to think it’s not fiction, that it really happened made it even a more thrilling read.

The story is a great example of how far a person would go for self-preservation. It provides a realistic and non-sugar-coated view into the different cultures he had to delve into. Something that made the most favorite part of the story for me. WE have all heard stories of south America, Thailand, Germany and India and travel magazines. But viewing these cultures with the eyes of a fugitive giving you a fresher perspective. There was nothing romantic or heroic about being on the run from authorities. it wasn’t same as being on vacation.

I did, however, couldn’t agree how the writer wanted us to sympathize Dan for being falsely accused for selling meth. It’s true that he never dealt with meth but he did dell drugs to other people. He was a drug trafficker after all and if you throw a rock in the mud you don’t know the splash is going to land. This s how any illegal business is like. They want to make us feel bad for the protagonist’s many struggles as a fugitive but its also a great lesson in how a drug dealers’ life isn’t as glamourous as it may seem regardless of all the money.

Overall, the story is witty and funny with lots self-deprecating humor. It does seem to drag at some points but catches up quickly. I’d give it a 4 out of 4 rating not because the book is perfectly written because of its great story, despite the unexplained ending. It had me on the edge most of the time and made for a great travel companion. It’s suitable for adult readers only because of strong crime scenes, language and prostitution. So if you’re an adult if who loved T.V shows such as Breaking Bad and Narcos, you’re definitely going to enjoy reading, or as in my case, listening to this book.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sumaira Zaheer's review? Post a comment saying so!
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

This was a good book filled with twists and turns, and the narrative was entertaining. His life story seems like fiction, lol. Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”