Review by Renee_Prior1995 -- Defining Moments of a Free ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Renee_Prior1995 -- Defining Moments of a Free ...

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr. Frank L. Douglas is an autobiography. This non-fiction novel includes frequent topics of explicit racism, discrimination, and other mature topics. I recommend this novel to mature audiences only.

Frank Douglas has just married and is on his way to the U.S. Where the social culture is vastly different. Frank came to the U.S. to study at medical school. It was the opportunity of a lifetime. Frank managed to make it, despite the racism and labels they placed on him because of the color of his skin. He works for the Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he undergoes lots of research and self-reflection. He navigates through this foreign political world, building his career and his family. His story, his research, and his life are in this novel.

If there is anything someone should prioritize, it would be family. Frank promptly puts his family first by dedicating his autobiography to his parents, wife, children, and grandchildren. He listed off each of their names. I found my self starting to respect this author because I value family above all else. As I kept perusing his book, I respected the author more because of how he chose to live his life, despite everything he went through.

One key thing I appreciated about this novel, was the complex language and extensive dialogue. This author uses plenty of weighty words, such as "evangelical" and "epitomize". Occasionally, I had to look up the meaning of some of his words. My reading ability was definitely challenged by reading this book. This is definitely a book for those who are more advanced. Other examples of this are demonstrated in the complex dialogue. One example is, "Wha ya wan today, boy?" While it is not technically the traditional spellings, this is how people used to speak. Every so often, it takes a few moments to interpret what they are articulating.

I was thoroughly captivated while reading this novel. It only took me a couple of days to read because I found myself wanting to know more. The author's story is truly tragic. He went through so much and yet he still achieved his goals. This novel was an inspiration. I thank the author for recounting his personal stories of sorrow and triumph with the world. In my opinion, I loved this book. I did not come across anything that I disliked. Obviously, only people who love autobiographies would maintain an interest in this novel.

Taking everything into consideration, I am delighted to give this autobiography a well-deserved rating of four out of four stars. This novel was exceptionally edited. I heartily recommend this novel to anyone who wishes to expand their knowledge on racial subjects. This was a truly marvelous story.

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I am so glad to know the print edition of the book was done exceptionally well. The same could not be said for the electronic version. I also believe this book will hold the most interest for those who are interested in memoir and autobiography.
Theresa Ammons Pinkston
Favorite Book: Pay It Forward
Currently Reading: The Day I Had a Bulldozer
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-ammons-pinkston.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Theresa Ammons Pinkston »

esp1975 wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 12:48 I am so glad to know the print edition of the book was done exceptionally well. The same could not be said for the electronic version.
My version of the e-book IS extremely well edited. I got it on Amazon and downloaded it to the Kindle App on my phone.
Theresa Ammons Pinkston
Favorite Book: Pay It Forward
Currently Reading: The Day I Had a Bulldozer
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-ammons-pinkston.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Theresa Ammons Pinkston »

Quote: "His story, his research, and his life are in this novel."

I object to you calling this a novel. It is an autobiography.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

This book sounds really enlightening on the racial aspect of an era. I think I may give it a read.

Your review is well written and informative!
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

Sunflower_Mom wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 17:13 Quote: "His story, his research, and his life are in this novel."

I object to you calling this a novel. It is an autobiography.
I'm sure she's aware, as she definitely emphasises this is an autobiography throughout her review.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

Does it say that Frank Douglas has just married as he goes to the US? I thought he was only engaged at first, but I did struggle with the pacing some when big things would happen in the background. Like the birth of his children. I figured at least the first child would have been a neat storing point to slow down for, coming from the perspective of the Father who is also a doctor...
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

It's crazy how racial discrimination is still a major social problem. And I think it's going to be like this for quite some time. I admire the author for his ferocious determination to make something if himself despite is upbringing. I love to see black people win.
Asmaa Saber
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaa-saber.html
Latest Review: Faith To Freedom by Dr Keith L Marshall, PsyD, MHD

Post by Asmaa Saber »

I always felt interested in freedom oriented books, I like the arrangement of your review display, you encourage me to start reading it. thanks in advance
SHISIA B
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SHISIA B »

It greatly good to hear from the history of how he got to it
Ogiyaonke Kilili
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Ogiyaonke Kilili »

Our history as people has been a propaganda and decided /or influenced by politics, I really wonder how does this autobiography forms part of true and uninfluenced history of a nation. I am going to give this book a taste and I'll reply how I view it, do follow my dramatic and honest reviews.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”