Review by B Creech -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review by B Creech -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is a beautifully written story about friendship. Five women of diverse ages, backgrounds, and lifestyles whose friendships were formed by their interest in fly fishing.

Rose, the eldest of the "girls" was busy getting her cabin, in the mountains of Colorado ready before her friends arrived for a fun-filled weekend of laughter, good food, good wine, and fly fishing (the "girls" mutual love) on the Arkansas River. The first night was spent talking, laughing, and catching up with each others' news; then a full day of fly fishing the next day. What started as a fun and productive day fly fishing was suddenly interrupted by screams. They caught sight of a naked woman being swept downriver by the strong current. Veronica, one of the group, managed to grab her hand and pull her to safety. After such a dramatic entrance into their lives, she swiftly became friend number five. The group met a few times a year to fly fish; however, they were always there for each other, even in their personal lives. One day, without warning, tragedy struck their group. How could this have happened? How would it affect their future as friends?

The author did an outstanding job of developing the characters. Rose, the oldest of the group, and a widow was warm and generous and was the root of all the "girls" learning to love the sport of fly fishing. Sophie was the caregiver of the group, always taking care of everyone but herself. Veronica was the feminine businesswoman who traveled extensively. Amanda, the youngest of the group, was always smiling and full of energy; despite being a young wife and mother of two, a school teacher, and having a husband in Afghanistan. Melody was the wild-child girl with tattoos and piercings, enjoying the nightlife and still unsure about her future. Each of their lives was woven into the story beautifully.

The Reel Sisters is centered around the characters' love of fly fishing, but it is so much more than that. The third book in The Reel Sisters series it can easily read as a stand-alone novel. The friendship the "girls" share as a group is exceptional and extends into their personal lives as well. The storyline is well written and has all the elements of a great read. I found myself laughing, shedding tears, and reacting with genuine shock as if I were a part of this group of "girls." It takes excellent writing skill by an author to bring out those emotions in a reader, and Cummings does just that.

I loved almost everything about this book, especially the group trips to the cabin to fly fish. I also enjoyed the detailed information included about the technique of fly fishing. Since it has always been predominately a male sport, I was intrigued by the concept of women also enjoying it. The only thing I did not like was the inclusion of strong profanity by one of the characters. However, I was able to skim over the offensive words due to the interest I had in the storyline. I hope to read more books by Michelle Cummings in the future.

The book appeared very well-edited, as I found only one error. The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is worthy to be given 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to anyone 18 or older who loves a good friendship story, (or a good fish story). I would not recommend it to anyone under 18 due to the use of profanity. Most of it is mild, but there are some unsavory words by one character.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Good books about strong female friendships can be hard to find. It is good to know this one is out there, and part of a series.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I didn’t realize this book was part of a series. The Reel Sisters sounds like a great story about friendship. I think it’s wonderful that it could evoke so many different emotions. Thanks for the review!
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

esp1975 wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 13:57 Good books about strong female friendships can be hard to find. It is good to know this one is out there, and part of a series.
Absolutely! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 14:23 I didn’t realize this book was part of a series. The Reel Sisters sounds like a great story about friendship. I think it’s wonderful that it could evoke so many different emotions. Thanks for the review!
I didn't know it was part of a series until I started reading it. It was very good so I plan to look for the others as well. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
jdsatosk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdsatosk.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by jdsatosk »

Great Review B Creech! I have been considering reading this book and I saw that it was listed as your favorite book - so I had to come check out your review of it. :)
I'm glad that you mention it is part of a series! I hate reading a book and finding out part way through that I am missing information from previous books. I love stories about female friendship and I can't wait to read this one - although I will need to find the other books before I do!
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

I'm currently reading this book and enjoy it very much too. And I didn't know that this book is the third book in The Reel Sisters series! Actually, I didn't even know that it's a series. It totally feels like a stand-alone, and it's great to know that there are more books about these five amazing women. Thanks for the awesom review!
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

Very nice job on the review, seems you enjoyed it so much. I also enjoyed reading this book and was quite impressed with the character development. I am now a practicing fly Fisher.
Harry Benjamin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harry-benjamin.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Harry Benjamin »

You did an excellent job with this review. The book is about female friendship as they love and care for one another.
Victor Nnamdi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor23nnamdi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Victor Nnamdi_ »

The love these women shared was really a genuine one. I’m glad I read this book.
Peace Eze
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-eze.html
Latest Review: Higher Connections by Eric Right and Alexandra Right

Post by Peace Eze »

Thanks for this review. I learned about fly fishing and I’ll love to try it out someday.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”