Review by Sam_Ibeh -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review by Sam_Ibeh -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Many people fish all of their lives not knowing it’s not the fish they are after." This quote by Henry David Thoreau opened the curtain to The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings.

This is a story about five women who came together under unique circumstances. Though distinct in their personal dispositions, they found a common passion for fly fishing. Sophie would take care of everyone else but herself. Rose was the role model everyone looked up to. Veronica was the city girl who had to get her hands dirty to fit in. Amanda was the manager who could get the best out of a stringent budget. Melody was the radical one who preferred taking ghastly risks to being anyone’s puppet.

The story began with only four women; Sophie, Rose, Veronica, and Amanda. They built a great relationship which hinged on fly fishing. It was always a great time when they embarked on their fishing expeditions.

While fly fishing one day, the four women met Melody in a dramatic encounter. Melody had gone to take some pictures of herself. On her way back, she slipped and fell into the river. The water current carried her to the spot where the four women were fishing. Their fishing expedition got interrupted by the discovery of Melody.

That encounter was Melody’s entry point into the group. The five women got along quite well. However, things went south for them when tragedy befell one of them. This also led to the uncovering of a secret. Would they weather the storm and remain together?

I must say that The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is one of the most interesting novels I’ve read. It was a first-person narrative from the perspective of the main characters. The author did a good job connecting each character's narrative to the next. That way, there was no unnecessary repetition of events or gaps in the plot.

The development of each character was top notch – both major and minor characters. I saw the uniqueness in their personalities evolve as events unfolded. It was easy for me to connect with them and understand why they acted the way they did. This was important for me. I needed to connect to the individuality of the characters to understand how they affected the whole plot. Michelle Cummings excelled in that.

My best moments in this book were the dialogues. They were so engaging that I longed for another dialogue at the end of one. They made me smile, giggle, laugh, shout, and even shed a few tears. The book gripped me both mentally and emotionally.

To be honest, there was nothing I could hold against this book. It was flawless both in writing and editing. I rate this book 4 out of 4. I recommend this book to everyone. However, women will connect the most to the core message of this novel.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Post by That Reviewer »

I really don't know much about fly fishing. Maybe I'll learn more after I read this book.
En+kay
Currently Reading: The Hit
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by En+kay »

Nice review, I can't wait to start reading as I know am going to learn fly fishing, be part of the conversation of the women and the adventures.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I liked that you opened with the quote from Thoreau. It pretty well sums up the theme of the novel. I also enjoyed reading and reviewing this book.
Harry Benjamin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harry-benjamin.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Harry Benjamin »

Thanks for your review. The character development was top-notch.
Osakwe Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osakwe-precious.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Osakwe Precious »

The author's attention to detail and vivid descriptions make the story come alive in a way that is truly captivating. The Reel Sisters" is a beautifully crafted novel that will leave you feeling uplifted and inspired.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”