Review by MsH2k -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Review by MsH2k -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by MsH2k »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is a delightful book about five women who share a passion for fly-fishing. The book opens with a quote by Henry David Thoreau which perfectly sums up the theme: “Many people fish all of their lives not knowing it’s not the fish they are after…” The author introduces us to each of the women, how they meet each other, and how they discover fly-fishing. This is actually a very informative book on the art of fly-fishing. Cummings describes the aspects of mending one’s line, casting to a target spot, reading the water, and choosing a fly — I was feeling like a fly-fishing geek by the end of the book.

As Thoreau’s quote implies, this book is about much more than fly-fishing. It is about friendships and self-discovery. The author allows ample time to develop each of the characters. She reveals the essence of each woman by what they share with each other and what they think. The book is divided into chapters called sections. At the beginning of each section, the author cleverly introduces the reader to reference material by providing a quote from various books on fly-fishing. Within each section are stories written in the first-person narrative from the perspective of the character whose name is at the beginning of each vignette. This technique allows the reader to take a peek into the innermost thoughts of each character. It also reveals how each woman is perceived by her friends. I enjoyed this approach, but sometimes I had to go back to the beginning of the vignette to remember which character was narrating. This style made it more challenging to follow the dialogue because the point of reference was always changing. Despite this quirkiness, I did not find that it distracted from the book.

The thing I absolutely liked most about this book was that it forced me to slow down and enjoy each of the women and the friendship that they shared. I truly felt like I got to know Sophie, Rose, Veronica, Amanda, and Melody. There was a nice variety of ethnicities and ages in the group. Those physical attributes were subtly introduced as the relationships among the women unfolded. I enjoyed the unabashed banter that the friends shared. I frequently laughed out loud at some of their antics. They each had distinct personalities and skills that they brought to the bunch. Rose was like the mother hen. She had the most experience fly-fishing and tried to make it fun for the newcomers. I loved the River Rat patches that she made. These coveted patches were reserved for those who fell into the water while fishing but did not lose their fishing hat. I could just imagine the pomp and circumstance around every presentation of one of those patches. They were certainly worn with pride on the recipients’ fishing vests.

One thing I disliked about the book was a lapse in judgment that did not seem to be consistent with one of the characters. To avoid spoilers, I will not name this character. I don’t know if it was an inconsistency in character development by the author, or if I was just disappointed that this character made an ill-advised emotional decision. At any rate, her selfish outburst resulted in an unfortunate turn of events. Another thing I disliked was that I found the communication style of the character Melody to be inconsistent. Sometimes her narrative was choppy with expletive-filled phrases and at other times it was smooth and perhaps a bit too mature for someone her age. These issues were minor, however, and I thoroughly enjoyed the book.

I recommend this book to those who like stories about female friendships and who also appreciate the outdoors. There is a bit of drama involving flying on an airplane during a turbulent storm, so nervous fliers beware. I would not recommend this book to those who are looking for a story with lots of suspense and action. There are a couple of very mild sex scenes that I would rate PG. This is a well-written book with very few grammatical errors. It has an interesting theme, maintains a steady pace, and develops likable characters. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Usually I don’t consider this when I’m reading a novel, but The Reel Sisters would make a great movie. I encourage you to read the book first!

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

Melody was my favorite character of the five, so I'm intrigued by your comment on her communication style. Think I'll do a bit of rereading. Thanks for a great review!
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Juliet+1 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 17:17 Melody was my favorite character of the five, so I'm intrigued by your comment on her communication style. Think I'll do a bit of rereading. Thanks for a great review!
Melody was a pleasant addition to the group. I was glad she decided to hang around. Thanks for your comment!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Harry Benjamin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harry-benjamin.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Harry Benjamin »

Thanks for your review. The character development was top-notch.
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

This is a brilliant review! The book sounds interesting, and I'm looking forward to reading it.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Peace Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-eze.html
Latest Review: Higher Connections by Eric Right and Alexandra Right

Post by Peace Eze »

This is an interesting review. I love the plot and setting of the book. Fly fishing seem to be an interesting sports, and I would love to engage in it during my leisure hours.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”