Review by Ellylion -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Review by Ellylion -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ellylion »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is a book about five women of different ages and social backgrounds who meet by chance and become friends, sharing their passion toward fly fishing. Rose, Sophie, Veronica, Amanda, and later Melody meet each other in Rose's cabin on weekends; fish in the river nearby; share their sorrows and joys, successes and failures with each other; just spend a good time in a cozy atmosphere with supportive and understanding friends.

Rose, the eldest of them all, is a leader of the group, she guides and advises. And, the most important, she is a treasure trove of valuable information about the fly fishing which she shares with the other girls. Sophie owns a greenhouse and nursery. She runs a successful business and is respected among local restaurateurs, but she is single and unhappy. Daring and strong Veronica is a coach for women leaders, CEOs, and managers in many companies. She is happily married, but she still suffers from a secret pain and doubts. Amanda is a teacher, young mother of two, and a military spouse. Melody is a photographer. She is the youngest member of the group. She might have difficult relationships with her parents.

In my opinion, Amanda is the most positive and inspiring character in the book. I believe that a heart-wrenching story of her relationship with the husband, deployed to Afghanistan, resonates with very many readers.

The book is written from the viewpoint of all the five characters and offers their take of the unfolding events. Their light humor and self-irony make the narrative more rich and vivid.

I liked most about this book the symbolism and parallels between the fly fishing and life itself. The fishing mirrors life; it teaches how to overcome difficulties and to find a more philosophical way of handling them. I also liked that the book had a very fast-moving plot.

I disliked Sophie's childhood memories about her hunting peasants and even barn swallows when she was only nine years old. In my opinion, swallows could not be considered a fowl, and encouraging very young children to kill animals is just wrong. Also, the author gives very little information about the appearance of the characters, or no information at all, which makes it harder to apprehend them. The character of Melody leaves many questions and is specified less clearly. I believe that, according to the author's intention, a person of any cultural background can enjoy the fly-fishing, but she still seems to be a little bit irrelevant in this group of friends. But, in spite of all the mentioned above issues, I enjoyed this book very much.

As I was reading, I could not find a single error, so I concluded that the book was exceptionally well edited. I give it 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to all the fans of outdoor activities, hiking, fishing, and garage sales; lovers of the books with strong female characters; those who are interested in the topics of female friendship, searching for the second half, and family relationships. Also, the book is a great manual on fly fishing; it provides a reader with a lot of technical information about this subject. This book has elements of drama, and even suspense, thus, it will apply to the fans of the mentioned above genres. It is suitable for people of any religious beliefs.

If you are against fishing or you are not interested in this subject, you should avoid reading this book. The book has profanity language and light erotic scenes, so I would not recommend it to a very young audience.

If you like reading about friendship, love, support, and how important it is to release, this book is for you. Angler or not, this book will teach you how to read the water.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I'm not familiar with fly-fishing, but this seems like a good introductory text. I'm glad you enjoyed it, thank you for the insightful review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I thought the symbolism the author used to express certain life lessons was interesting in theory but a bit heavy-handed. Still, I definitely enjoyed the interactions between characters. Thanks for the review!
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

gen_g wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 08:06 I'm not familiar with fly-fishing, but this seems like a good introductory text. I'm glad you enjoyed it, thank you for the insightful review!
Oh, yes, fly-fishing was my main concern when I started reading this book, but it turned out to be about female friendship mainly :) Thank you for your comments!
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Tomah wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 11:13 I thought the symbolism the author used to express certain life lessons was interesting in theory but a bit heavy-handed. Still, I definitely enjoyed the interactions between characters. Thanks for the review!
Thank you for your insight and stopping by! :)
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I also read this book and I found the author's narration as the books major strategy.
Thank you for the insightful review.
Bet on Me! :idea:
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I have read this book and I enjoyed it. What stood out for me was the friendship between the women. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I have read this book and cannot get enough of it. It is one of the best books. I agree Amanda was a positive character and her life was very hard on her. Wonderful review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I've also read this book and the relationship between these girls were incredible. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

That's a great parting line. I should learn how to read the water. I've never caught any fish and can't swim. I should try again.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I like the subtle comparison between fly-fishing and life :)
This sounds like a great book.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 12:22 I also read this book and I found the author's narration as the books major strategy.
Thank you for the insightful review.
Thank you for your kind words! :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Bianka Walter wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 04:43 I like the subtle comparison between fly-fishing and life :)
This sounds like a great book.
It's really great and worth reading! :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Miriam Molina wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 02:40 That's a great parting line. I should learn how to read the water. I've never caught any fish and can't swim. I should try again.
Ha ha, you definitely should! :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Julius_ wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 01:13 I've also read this book and the relationship between these girls were incredible. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for your kind comments! :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”