Review by Anthony__ -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Review by Anthony__ -- The Reel Sisters

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever started out learning something new and almost out of your comfort zone, and you go back home having the best relationship under your belt?

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings explains it in precise detail. The book is an exposé into the lives of five women: Sophie, Rose, Amanda, Veronica, and Melody, who are from different walks of life and age group. They have a common interest, which is their love for fly fishing. The book talks about the characters’ love for fly fishing, the art of catching fish, enjoying the thrill of it, and letting the catch go. It shows the author’s obsession (positively and therapeutically) for the sport. This lightly thrilling yet humor-filled book has about 352 pages, all written in 10 sections showing how to be an excellent fly fisher.

At first, the book was boring to me as the author talked more about fly-fishing. I thought the author's love for the sport was a bit too much. Later, I realized the author was painting a beautiful image for the reader to understand how the ladies feel when they were fishing. It makes the reader feels like he or she is on the journey with them. As each of the women shares their experiences, it becomes evident that there is more to the story than fly fishing. All characters have their strengths and weaknesses, but what I like the most is how the women complement each other irrespective of their diverse backgrounds.

I admire the ways the author detailed the scenery and expressed a strong theme of love and friendship throughout the book. I felt happy for Melody, whose character is like what I experienced. She stumbles into the group, and after little guarded interaction, she discovered herself. Another aspect I admire is Sophia. She is selfless. I am happy she found what she was looking for naturally and not through Veronica’s poor matchmaking skills. Michelle’s style of writing is coherent and engaging, and I love everything about the book.

I like how the book ended. It makes me wonder if the women in the book really exist or existed once. The circumstance each woman found herself is very relatable and real. What stood out for me in suspense was the reason behind Rose’s tears at the river.

Overall, I would rate The Reel Sisters 4 out of 4 stars because the book is very informative. It teaches the value of friendship and gives more insight into fly fishing. Also, It can serve as an instructional manual. New converts to the sport will enjoy the book. Also, it will appeal to readers that are interested in books on nature. The book is well-edited as I did not notice any grammatical or punctuation errors.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

The bond between this ladies is great and worthy of emulation. Sometime as human we need to surround yourself with people of like-minds and will help us grow. Fly fishing help this ladies achieve that. Great review.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Princepetr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princepetr.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Princepetr »

I love reading this book, the four sisters shown great love and care for each other . They even helped a friend which they met at the river . This is a book for all of us.
Officialboluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-officialboluwatife.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by Officialboluwatife »

I really don't see anything interesting about fish other than making meal out of it. Rather i am dazed with the ladies interest on a particle event. Its fun to be amidst people who shares a common interest.
Uncle_Praise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uncle-praise.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Uncle_Praise »

Wow, fly fishing!! I wouldn't have known that it was therapeutic until I read the review. Such an amazing book
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I agree that the friendship in this book shone off the pages and pulled on my heartstrings; these women were consistently supportive of one another. Not everyone is blessed with these types of friends, but it is a relationship many aspire to have. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
Harry Benjamin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harry-benjamin.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Harry Benjamin »

Rose leadership qualities is something we should emulate. Nice review.
Victor Nnamdi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor23nnamdi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Victor Nnamdi_ »

The five women teaches us an exemplary life of friendship and sisterhood. I really loved it.
Peace Eze
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-eze.html
Latest Review: Higher Connections by Eric Right and Alexandra Right

Post by Peace Eze »

I’m glad I learned about the bond of friendship from this book. The author did a great job impacting virtues in the lives of readers.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”