Review by Maria 29 -- Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maria 29
Currently Reading: Words from above
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-29.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Review by Maria 29 -- Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Maria 29 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Last Words from Above" by Jeremy Brown.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Last words from Above , written by Jeremy Brown, is a book addressed to the soul, to the spiritual sides of the readers, which dares you to question your beliefs, your faith and your relationship with God. The power of the book consists in revealing another life, one which is beyond the seen one, superior through the ineffable connection with God.

The title is inspired by the author’s experience of hearing a voice from above, which urged him to write a series of seven books, this one being the last. This writing piece is structured in short quotes and idioms, 2001 in totally, approaching diverse topics (faith, the relationship between the human being and the divinity, the passing of the time, the childhood, the learning, the interpersonal and intrapersonal relationships etc.), all of them from a Christian perspective. Also, some principles can easily be likened to ascetic ideas and they seek transcendence to the Kingdom of Heaven, even at the cost of renunciation of the material world.

Personally, I questioned the voice heard by the author, even though I strongly admire his connection with God and I’m sure that everyone’s perspective on this topic would be influenced by the individual religious beliefs. Also, there were some quotes that seemed commonplace in my eyes, but I’m sure that it’s a matter of subjectivity. However, some quotes felt very deep and made me meditate about how I used to see life and there were moments when I felt the need to stop reading and think about the meaning of what I had just read.

As a whole, I enjoyed this book and I think it is suitable especially for mature people who savor meditating about life and for the ones who want to (re)bound and (re)discover the relationship with God. These words can be the trigger of living a peaceful life, at the Divinity’s will. Moreover, it is a motivational book, which encourages personal growth and the acceptance of the true self.

I appreciated that it was a professionally edited book and I didn’t notice any typos, but due to some ordinary quotes, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The writing style was direct and persuasive and I enjoyed the second person and first person formulas that lead closer and closer to me and I’m sure that it will reach the souls of many readers and contribute to their vision.

Last Words from Above
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
nageena_rasheed
Currently Reading: The Talking Baobab Tree
Bookshelf Size: 97

Post by nageena_rasheed »

Nice description of a well written book, congratulation. I like that the book contains exactly what a religious mind is looking for. Our relation to God needs to be renewed from time to time so such books can be a good lead to right path. Moreover personal motivation in several stages of life is crucial to survive and it is thus important for any person. But i think i cannot manage to read a number of book these days so i will pass this one. Well done for the book and review though!
Maria 29

Post by Maria 29 »

nageena_rasheed wrote: 21 May 2020, 12:17 Nice description of a well written book, congratulation. I like that the book contains exactly what a religious mind is looking for. Our relation to God needs to be renewed from time to time so such books can be a good lead to right path. Moreover personal motivation in several stages of life is crucial to survive and it is thus important for any person. But i think i cannot manage to read a number of book these days so i will pass this one. Well done for the book and review though!
Thanks! I am glad that I managed to convey the subject of the book and make it more popular. I'm also glad you liked my review :D
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

This book seems to have the depth of a religious book. Thank you for your fine review.
Maria 29

Post by Maria 29 »

Hhannahh wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 22:46 This book seems to have the depth of a religious book. Thank you for your fine review.
Yes, it has:) Thank you so much for commenting! :D
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I think I will find this book interesting because of the fact that I am agnostic.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

Thank you so much for the insightful review. For some reason, the cover of this book reminded me of a historical novel!
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Maria 29

Post by Maria 29 »

Mtibza eM wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 15:21 I think I will find this book interesting because of the fact that I am agnostic.
I am sure it would be an interesting experience to discover something different. Thank you for commenting! :)
Maria 29

Post by Maria 29 »

MarianaFigueira wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 15:26 Thank you so much for the insightful review. For some reason, the cover of this book reminded me of a historical novel!
It has a rather vintage look, indeed...which novel, if I may ask? Thanks for your comment :wink:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”