Review by RKeinath -- The Demon of the Well

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RKeinath
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rkeinath.html
Latest Review: The Dragon Pillars: Water & Fire by Sanzaki Kojika

Review by RKeinath -- The Demon of the Well

Post by RKeinath »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Demon of the Well" by James B. Hendricks.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Demon of the Well by James B. Hendricks is an epic poem told by an old trader to a group of youths. Said trader relates a time when he offered himself up as a guide to two brothers who seek a magic cup that shows the beholder the future or the past. To reach where the cup lay hidden, though, they must pass through an inhospitable desert to reach Devil’s Springs where they must face the demon who dwells within. It is a place that the old trader confesses he wishes to return.

Hendricks has conjured up an epic reminiscent of Rumi, Homer, and even Beowulf in that it explores human nature, is laced with morals, and shows that all actions have consequences. Though reminiscent of bygone eras and poets, The Demon of the Well is in a style that is entirely unique to the author. The fact that this is an epic poem is part of what I love about The Demon of the Well.

The Demon of the Well was impossible for me to put down as it is such a well-written tale and an incredible journey that stays with me. In fact, it is a tale I desire to return to again and again as I enjoyed it that much. The descriptions drew me in in their exquisite detail to where I could almost feel and see the desert and dangers faced by the characters while maintaining the beauty and grace that I have to come to expect of poetry in general. In all honesty, there is absolutely nothing that I disliked about this as it is both new and ancient with incredibly human characters who are also fantastical.

There is violence in The Demon of the Well, as is the case with all epics, which makes it unsuitable for all audiences. It is my opinion that this epic is best suited to young adults and adults who enjoy the fantasy genre, other epic poems, and poetry in general. I believe James B. Hendricks’ epic would also be suitable for those who teach literature at the high school and college levels.

All in all, I would rate The Demon of the Well 4 out of 4 stars as it is that wonderful of a read that transported me to another land and back in time. It contains little to no errors, which shows the professionalism of the author and the editors in regards to this masterpiece.

The Demon of the Well
View: on Bookshelves
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I've read this and enjoyed it very much! I have never heard of Rumi, but I will check it out! If you enjoyed this, you might also enjoy "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" by S.T. Coleridge. Nice review!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

This epic sounds captivating! I love that it was written as an poem. I'll definitely considering giving it a read.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”