Review by moowshiri -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
moowshiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moowshiri.html
Latest Review: The Kings Death by Ed Cannon

Review by moowshiri -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by moowshiri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fox" by M. N. J. Butler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Based on the ancient Greek mythology, The Fox by M. N. J. Butler puts into account the day to day events in the Spartan kingdom. The life experiences of Leotychides are covered extensively throughout the book. From his young days as a prince in the palace to his dealings in the military.

I loved the fact that the author provided a full list glossary of all the Greek terminology found within the book. This helped me quite a lot in understanding the plot. It also equipped me with some valuable information on Greek mythology that was previously unknown to me.

The author used simple and easy to understand grammar in writing the book. This made going through the pages an easier task for me. It would be an added advantage to most readers since they would not have to consult their dictionaries now and then to get the gist of the book.

The fact that M. N. J. Butler wrote the book in the first person was very welcoming. It gave me the chance to connect and relate with some of the characters, especially Leotychides. At times I could picture myself being the young prince in the Agiad Palace asking King Pausanios a string of endless questions.

The book was well-edited; I never came across any grammatical errors whatsoever. The editing and proofreading team must have worked tirelessly to achieve this, given its vast volume. There were also no instances of profanity within the book, making it a conducive read for everyone, especially for those with high regard for good morals. I also never came across anything that would rattle the feathers of any religious faithful across the board. Therefore, it’s a safe read for readers from all religions.

I only disliked one thing about the book. I found the Greek names used to be very confusing. It was tough for me to relate some characters with their respective roles due to the close similarity in their names. For instance, I would confuse Agesipolis for Agisilaos at times.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It is a very well written and informative read that throws the reader’s mind deep into the ancient times of the Greeks. The only hurdle I found was the confusing names, which is easy to overcome once you get a good grasp of the book. It would make a good read for those with a passion for books to do with the ancient Greeks and their system of governance.

The Fox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Julez »

I know what you mean by Agesipolis and Agisilaos 😁.
It's a wonderful book. I can only hope it gets more popular. Butler totally transported us to old Greece.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

This is a nice historical fiction, though it is a bit lengthy read. Thanks for the nice review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MeganDJ »

Ahhh I love anything to do with Greek mythology :D There stories and tales can be quite outrageous at times but it makes them all the more interesting. I would definitely like to pick this one up at some point :D Thank you for the great review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

You encouraged me to check this book out :) I love all based on the Greek mythology and always prefer a story told in the first person. Amazing review!
moowshiri
Currently Reading:

Post by moowshiri »

Ellylion wrote: 22 May 2020, 08:09 You encouraged me to check this book out :) I love all based on the Greek mythology and always prefer a story told in the first person. Amazing review!
Sure, i'm sure you're gonna love it. Thanks for stopping by.
moowshiri
Currently Reading:

Post by moowshiri »

Julez wrote: 21 May 2020, 18:09 I know what you mean by Agesipolis and Agisilaos 😁.
It's a wonderful book. I can only hope it gets more popular. Butler totally transported us to old Greece.
Yeah. It's a very wonderful read. Thanks for the comment.
Pstodumeje
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pstodumeje.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Pstodumeje »

Leotychides was the commander of the Greek legion at the battle of Mycale. The author says that Leotychides endured an infected ankle injury at an early age. The book is highly motivating and fascinating. The plots are well structured. Nice review.
moowshiri
Currently Reading:

Post by moowshiri »

Pstodumeje wrote: 25 May 2020, 01:07 Leotychides was the commander of the Greek legion at the battle of Mycale. The author says that Leotychides endured an infected ankle injury at an early age. The book is highly motivating and fascinating. The plots are well structured. Nice review.
I can't agree more. Thanks for stopping by.
Reubeney
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reubeney.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by Reubeney »

I'm intending to read this book and I appreciate for the brief review. I now have a glimpse of what to expect in the book.
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
docfatima
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19764">The Duke's Holiday</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-docfatima.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by docfatima »

Reading a historical fiction and that to a lengthy one seems to be a daunting task. Your review makes me feel that I should give this book a try. Nice review.
even miracles take a little time. :angelic-blueglow:
Caffrey_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Caffrey_19 »

I understand this book reveals the Greek mythology to the audience. I love to explore diverse cultures and experiences. This book, from your review, seems like a good read. Nice work.
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

Thank you for this insightful review. I was on the fence about reading The Fox and now am going to put it on my to read list. I enjoy the first person and the use of mythology. Did you find there was a lot of mythology incorporated into the story?
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunalpatki.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Mrunalpatki »

Confusing bit about the character names, happens to me sometimes too :D Specially when a book uses too many characters and too many everyday character names. But this book seems to be about unique and tough names :roll: Great review though, nicely done.
Think before you review. Read before you think. :techie-studyinggray:
moowshiri
Currently Reading:

Post by moowshiri »

Mrunalpatki wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 22:49 Confusing bit about the character names, happens to me sometimes too :D Specially when a book uses too many characters and too many everyday character names. But this book seems to be about unique and tough names :roll: Great review though, nicely done.
I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one who gets confused by too many characters. Thanks for stopping by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”