Review by book_fanatic_ -- The Cult Next Door

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Review by book_fanatic_ -- The Cult Next Door

Post by book_fanatic_ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Cult Next Door" by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you know what does cult mean? Have you ever experienced or been a part of cultism? Have you ever lost a loved one due to cultism? Do you want to know what can be the hazardous consequences of cultism? Read this book and get the answers.

Elizabeth is a teenager who is stressed due to various complications in her life. Her mother introduces her to George Sharkman, a psychologist, and he seems to be the solution to all her problems. Liz, aka Elizabeth, joins his Stress Reduction Therapy and becomes a regular member. Over time, many people join the program and George, the Guru, claims that the “Energy” produced by him is the cure of all the troubles in the world. People believe all the psychological knowledge and philosophy that George introduces to them, but Liz seems to be confused at times. Her life isn’t smooth by any mean. She tries her level best, continues her hard work and stays favorable to the “Energy” just like George has advised, but nothing seems to work for her. She loses all her money in various expenses and is under massive debt. One after another tragedies happen in her life, and she loses control over everything that belongs to her. One day Liz encounters Judith in a meeting, and this person changes her life forever.

The Cult Next Door: A Manhattan Memoir is a non-fiction book by Elizabeth R. Burchard, LSW and Judith L. Carlone. It’s all about cultism, tragedies, hope and healing. It contains the true story of Elizabeth’s life, her adversities, defeat and finally, her victory. Liz squanders almost 20 years of her life to useless things and people who don’t care, and thus, it leads her to a state of anxiety and depression. She, along with other members of the “Group” is harassed – mentally, physically and financially. The Guru or Mentor sexually exploits women on the name of “breaking social barriers”. At last, Liz meets Judy (Judith) who makes her realize the truth, helps her to overcome her disasters and supports her to have a fresh start.

The story is divided into many phases of Liz’s life. It is written in the first-person narrative that shifts between Liz and Judy; it helps the reader to have an insight into Liz’s personality from her as well as her friend’s point of view. The paragraphs are well-structured and keep the reader engaged. The authors use the imagery in many places, and that provides a great visual of events to the reader.

The two main themes discussed in the book are cultism and the parent-child relationship. The so-called Gurus of cultism and their frauds are exposed fantastically. The book provides details on how these cheaters manipulate people and bedevil them. The sad thing is that the group members don’t even realize that they are being exploited. The way the authors portray this journey is commendable. I had tears in my eyes while reading about the struggle that Liz has faced due to her toxic mother and cunning mentor. It takes much strength to discuss such details about one’s own life, and I appreciate the author for that. This book would inspire many people. It would teach people never to lose hope in any situation. Elizabeth and Judith act as the symbols of strength and hope, respectively, and provide the message that it’s never too late to realize your mistakes, correct them and move on with a better life. Judy is the kind of friend that everyone needs in his life.

There is nothing that I disliked about this book. Each line intrigues the reader to read more and provides motivation.

I would say that the book is professionally edited as I found only one minor grammatical error while reading. I would recommend it to all the people who need some inspiration and motivation in their lives. Some characters in it use a few cuss words and phrases for Jesus Christ; thus, people who are looking forward to reading this one can take note of that in case they are offended by such things. Some horrific and awful incidents are described in detail, so, sensitive people can avoid reading it.

After discussing all the things above, I would rate this incredible book with 4 out of 4 stars. From the writing skills of the authors to the journey that is discussed, I loved everything about it.

The Cult Next Door
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

The title I bought right away. Having read your review, I am adding this to my shelf. It sounds like a heavy read but the sort I would like to endear. Your review is certainly very thorough and inviting! Thank you!
moowshiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moowshiri.html
Latest Review: The Kings Death by Ed Cannon

Post by moowshiri »

Wow! What a story! Liz's story sounds inspirational and also very educational. I must grab a copy of this. Thanks for your review.
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:

Post by book_fanatic_ »

LinaJan wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 10:17 The title I bought right away. Having read your review, I am adding this to my shelf. It sounds like a heavy read but the sort I would like to endear. Your review is certainly very thorough and inviting! Thank you!
I hope you'll love it. Thanks for the kind words. :tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've always been interested in cults. It would be interesting to see how she gets started in one and then how she gets out of it. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

It’s always tough to come across a portion of a summary of a book, thinking that it must be a thriller novel of some kind, and then realizing that its non-fiction. Some scary stuff certainly exists in real life, huh. Cultism is definitely a reality, and I’m glad that the authors took the challenge of engaging a discussion on the delicate topic. I can imagine that Burchard’s LSW degree helped her navigate some of the thoughts, motivations, and implications of cultism, as well. Sounds like a fascinating book that I would be interested in reading! Thanks for a great review!
Prince Chime
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-chime.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Prince Chime »

It indeed takes so much strength to talk about one's personal story. I must commend Elizabeth for putting this together to help everyone know how to avoid such pitfalls in their own lives. Nice review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
:)
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

A while back, I reviewed a fictional book with this type of theme. The question that remained with me was, "So how exactly do you get out of something like that?" I think a non-fiction book such as this one - with real experiences and real steps that were taken - would give more concrete answers. Seems like there's a lot to learn here. Thanks for this review!
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

I had a very similar experience when I reviewed this book. Great review!
Spencer Mack
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunalpatki.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Mrunalpatki »

I've read this book and loved it so much as well. It's a touching story and exasperating too. Great review.
Think before you review. Read before you think. :techie-studyinggray:
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It sounds like Liz had a hard life. I'm glad that Judy came along, for her sake. Thanks for an informative and interesting review!
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

Wow! This sounds like quite a read. I hesitate to try it based on the fact that it's non-fiction. I am curious to know just how she got out, though. Intriguing indeed. Thank you.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a must-read to everyone feeling uncertain and lost. The subject is too important not to read this book. Amazing review!
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:

Post by book_fanatic_ »

moowshiri wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 10:31 Wow! What a story! Liz's story sounds inspirational and also very educational. I must grab a copy of this. Thanks for your review.
I'm sure you'll be motivated after reading this one. Thank you for commenting. :D
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:

Post by book_fanatic_ »

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 19:20 I've always been interested in cults. It would be interesting to see how she gets started in one and then how she gets out of it. Thanks!
Her journey had been a roller coaster ride. I hope you enjoy reading it. Thank you for stopping by and commenting. :tiphat: :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”