Review by jennydelacruz -- Waterworks by Jack Winnick

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Review by jennydelacruz -- Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by jennydelacruz »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Waterworks" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

5th book of the enthralling series, Lara and Uri, Waterworks by Jack Winnick is yet another action-filled and suspenseful counterterrorism fiction novel. It was so exciting and interesting that I found it difficult to put down and stop reading.

Lara and Uri have been wanting to have a child, but the nature of their work and their grueling schedules make it a bit difficult. They were advised by their doctor to take a vacation and ease up a bit. Having had their previous holiday cut short, they have gotten approval to continue their well-deserved and most-needed vacation.

Just as they were joyfully passing through shops and watching people with their happy faces, both of their phones rang. The water plant in Los Angeles had been contaminated and Homeland Security has reasons to believe that this might be a terror plot. Both agents were called to learn the severity and the magnitude of the attack. Their expertise in dealing with Iranian terrorists is needed in the investigation and prevention of another possible intrusion.

The two intelligence officers began preparing themselves for a dangerous quest. They are setting off together to the lion’s den but would be working separately. Being famous international spies going to the enemies’ homeland, this sure sounds like a suicide mission.

The unbelievable hunger to destroy and eliminate the Jews and the horrifying thirst to take down the United States is startling. The author wrote a comprehensive description of the terrorists’ repulsive desire and ridiculous ambition to succeed. The connotation of the word “Paradise” as depicted in the book is a little perturbing. These people had completely misinterpreted the principle of jihad and that misinterpretation had caused serious troubles.

The book was well written. There were no mistakes or errors, had there been any, I was deeply immersed in reading that I barely noticed. Jack Winnick, with his creative writing techniques, had penetrated my emotions. I found the narration of the food so delightful; it was so thorough, I can almost see and taste them. Also, his graphic description of the physical features of the character was explicit.

There were a couple of instances that made me stopped and told myself, “This sounds familiar.” Like when the Mayor said in the first few chapters, “Don’t let this get out, people are frightened already.” Well, isn’t that a normal sentence from the authorities? You see, Jack had really induced my emotions, I am kind of picturing these words being said by some people a few months ago. Anyway, I will continue praising and glorifying this page-turner.

I am rating this 4 out of 4 stars with all enthusiasm and appreciation for this excellent novel. I closed my book of negative adjectives; I don’t see it being useful for this review. The twists and turns, the revelation of some characters, the specifications of the action scenes, the description of places and food, what is there to dislike? Also, I appreciate the consistent reminder of the language being used in the dialogues.

People who like stories of terrorism and counterterrorism, espionage, spy agents, and international mystery and crime would enjoy Waterworks. Just a heads up, there were some graphic descriptions of death, but I found it necessary to the storyline. I‘ve seen only one instance of profanity, but again, I found it essential to the storyline and dialogue.

If I may add, I want to thank Jack for taking his time writing his “Author’s Note.” It is alarming to know that this chemical really does exist and that an assassination was successfully carried out using this element. This book, although a fiction novel, is a clear warning that there are some possibilities to these horrifying acts.

Waterworks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Wow! I'm taken by this book already. I love spy novels. And having a couple work together reminds me of Mr and Mrs Smith. Beautiful review.
Caffrey_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Caffrey_19 »

Lara and Uri are at it again. It feels good to know that the duo are not ready or willing to give up the fight against terrorism. Nice work on the review.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

Adanna Inya wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 15:42 Wow! I'm taken by this book already. I love spy novels. And having a couple work together reminds me of Mr and Mrs Smith. Beautiful review.

You will love Waterworks! And this is #couplegoals at its finest :lol:
Thank you, Adanna :romance-heartstiny:
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

Caffrey_19 wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 13:48 Lara and Uri are at it again. It feels good to know that the duo are not ready or willing to give up the fight against terrorism. Nice work on the review.
Yes, they are! Quite remarkable couple. They take on the hardest challenges and assignments. No wonder they are "the best" people to do the job.

Thank you for stopping by.
Ashley Lauren
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ashley Lauren »

Hugely enjoyable and thought provoking - the book breathes life and excitement! Very nice review
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

Ashley Lauren wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 05:58 Hugely enjoyable and thought provoking - the book breathes life and excitement! Very nice review
:romance-heartsthree:
Thank you for stopping by :)
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

An action-packed antiterrorism book. Too bad I haven't read other books in this series. I'll pass this for now.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

JM Reviews wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 06:28 An action-packed antiterrorism book. Too bad I haven't read other books in this series. I'll pass this for now.
Thanks for stopping by, JM :wink:
Dee_Robert
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Reel sisters
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

I love thrillers and I've seen several by Jack Winnick.

Your review just makes me want to read it more. Great Review
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

Dee_Robert wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 11:41 I love thrillers and I've seen several by Jack Winnick.

Your review just makes me want to read it more. Great Review
Jack is fantastic, indeed! Thank you, Dee!
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I'm always hearing about the Lara and Uri series, usually positive things, and the novels certainly seem to be great reads in the thriller genre. I might check this one out if I get the time. Thanks for the review!
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

Tomah wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 10:45 I'm always hearing about the Lara and Uri series, usually positive things, and the novels certainly seem to be great reads in the thriller genre. I might check this one out if I get the time. Thanks for the review!
This couple seems to be quite the talk of the town within the reading community, and Jack Winnick too! Thanks for stopping by, Tomah.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This series is my next reading project! I like how the author has built up this relationship throughout all five books of the series. Your positive words have motivated me. Great review!
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

kdstrack wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 12:36 This series is my next reading project! I like how the author has built up this relationship throughout all five books of the series. Your positive words have motivated me. Great review!

Thank you so much, kdstrack :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”