Review by book_fanatic_ -- Cat Detectives in the Korean ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Review by book_fanatic_ -- Cat Detectives in the Korean ...

Post by book_fanatic_ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Inca, the snoopy detective, is on her next trip to South Korea with her mom, family, and friends. There is a cooking competition organized there, and Missy, Inca’s mom, has been invited as a judge. After reaching, they are welcomed by Ye-Jun, their guide, to his house, and they decide to stay with him. While residing there, everyone learns that Ye-Jun and Baram (his dog) are sad due to their partition from Ye-Jun’s sister, Ji, and Baram’s friend, Bo-Mi (their cat), who live in North Korea. While Missy and her friend, Solo, plan to unite the brother-sister and friends, Inca secretly decides that she’ll carry on this task by herself with the help of her friends. She moves forward to complete her mission at midnight. There is a tight security at the Korean borders with the warning, “Strictly No Entry. Danger Zone.” Will Inca be able to fulfill her mission? Will she be able to unite her friends without falling into any trouble?

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R. F. Kristi is the eighth book in The Inca Cat Detective Series. It discusses the events from 10 to 17 April, in an unknown year, in the life of Inca. The exciting part is that Inca, the head of Inca and Company, is a Siberian kitty, who (along with her friends) can understand human language. She is a smart detective who has solved several cases with the help of her friends. The book contains the details of how she overcomes various hurdles to complete her mission.

There are many things that I loved about this book. Firstly, I liked how the author has embedded various informative details about North Korea and South Korea, along with a delightful story. It describes the relationship and different interesting facts about the two countries. Thus, it would help children get some knowledge about other nations in the world. Secondly, the message and lesson of friendship that the author tries to convey and build through this story is impressive. Kids can learn many things about this bond that is portrayed through many incidents.

Though the protagonist is Inca, there are instances where the writer showcases the abilities of other characters, for example, events displaying Fromage’s and Terrance’s bravery. I liked this fact, as it would teach children about the importance of teamwork. It is a well-written book, consisting of beautiful, well-structured lines. There are instances of humor that would give a good laugh to the younger ones. The author has included many cute pictures related to the scenes, and the kids would love looking at them.

There is one thing that I disliked about this piece of writing. It is a work about a detective, and thus, the reader would expect mystery and suspense, but I was disappointed not to find much of that. The author could have done better in that aspect.

Overall, it was an enjoyable read. I believe the book is professionally edited, except for a few paragraphs. I found some grammatical errors; though they didn’t cause any hindrance while reading, I would like to deduct one star. The book is written for kids, and this is the age where they learn the basic rules of grammar; therefore, the author and the editor should have paid more attention to these little yet essential things.

After discussing all the aspects above, I would rate this lovely book with 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it for children ages 4-9 years. It is a long read for any child, and some words could be difficult for kids to understand (for example, preened, sumptuous, and scampered). Therefore, I would recommend it to be read aloud by the adults to their younger ones.

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

I've read another book on cat detectives. I'm looking forward to reviewing this one too. Nice review
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I love that this series educates children about different countries and cultures. But really sorry about the errors, they definitely shouldn't be in a children's book. Thanks for an amazing review! :)
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:

Post by book_fanatic_ »

JM Reviews wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 06:22 I've read another book on cat detectives. I'm looking forward to reviewing this one too. Nice review
I hope you would like it. Thank you for stopping by and commenting. :)
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:

Post by book_fanatic_ »

Ellylion wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 08:26 I love that this series educates children about different countries and cultures. But really sorry about the errors, they definitely shouldn't be in a children's book. Thanks for an amazing review! :)
Yes, errors in a children's book must be avoided. We adults can notice and correct them, but not the kids. Thank you for the kind words. :)
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: I Have Proof of a Higher Power by Ioan Dirina

Post by Harty Muli »

Sounds like an interesting kids book that teaches on inclusivity and imparts information about other cultures. thanks for the nice review.
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:

Post by book_fanatic_ »

Slater678 wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 09:31 Sounds like an interesting kids book that teaches on inclusivity and imparts information about other cultures. thanks for the nice review.
Thank you for stopping by and admiring. :)
Dee_Robert
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Reel sisters
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

Another Inca Mystery.
I'm beginning to like this cat, she makes the book fun.

Great review.
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Oh! The book is in installments? I love every review that I've read about this book. I can't get over cats understanding human languages. Lol. Beautiful review.
daphne_asir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daphne-asir.html
Latest Review: WALK TALL - create your own self-confidence by Ki Is Your Host

Post by daphne_asir »

I just reviewed a book in this series! I totally agree with the points you made. Great review!
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.
Shirley Jackson
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

Those words are hard for me, I can think that they are extremely hard for kiddos. Beside that, it sounds interesting. Great review!
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:

Post by book_fanatic_ »

Dee_Robert wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 10:23 Another Inca Mystery.
I'm beginning to like this cat, she makes the book fun.

Great review.
She is an adorable cat indeed. Thank you for stopping by and commenting. :)
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:

Post by book_fanatic_ »

Adanna Inya wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 11:07 Oh! The book is in installments? I love every review that I've read about this book. I can't get over cats understanding human languages. Lol. Beautiful review.
Yes, each book in the series depicts a new trip by Inca, and how she solves her cases.
Thank you for the kind words. :)
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:

Post by book_fanatic_ »

daphne_asir wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 14:07 I just reviewed a book in this series! I totally agree with the points you made. Great review!
Thank you for admiring. :)
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:

Post by book_fanatic_ »

Tonika632 wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 08:49 Those words are hard for me, I can think that they are extremely hard for kiddos. Beside that, it sounds interesting. Great review!
I know, right? :wink:
And thank you for the kind words. :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”