Review by Tan TR -- Justice by Scott Hughes

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tan TR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tan-tr.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Tan TR -- Justice by Scott Hughes

Post by Tan TR »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Justice" by Scott Hughes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Sympathy shines a light in the dark impassable tunnels constructed between all of us.” These are the beginning words of the book. It sets the tone, which can be described as a longing with a strong poetic emotion. It is a great beginning to a story about an unhappy marriage gone wrong after Marcus, the husband, finds his wife, Brynn, cheating on him. Then as the story unfolds, we meet Joseph, a prosecutor from Harvard Law that is sick of the modern criminal system.

Each of these characters bring to life a very well-written novella. We get to know all three in an attempt to understand them. We discover why Brynn no longer feels guilty when she cheats on Marcus. We discover why Marcus ended up reacting terribly when he finds his wife cheating on him. And finally, we discover why Joseph feels the criminal system is nothing but a scam, with thousands of innocent people behind bars.

Justice: A Novella by Scott Hughes is a well-structured story. It shows that every good story has more than one or two sides to it. It concentrates on the theme of justice. And gives different situations in which people act out their own justice, which can mean various things like: payback, revenge, simply following the rules (even when the rules are broken), and when following the mayor consensus.

The aspect I enjoyed the most, was how well-written the book was. It was written in such a way that made it hard for me to put the book down. Both blunt and poetic. I could feel the strong emotions behind it. I found it to be a very unique way of writing.

There was nothing I could dislike about this book. It was professionally edited and I could find no mistakes. Therefore, I have to give this book its well-deserved four out of four stars. Because the story was both interesting and raw. It was written in a way that made me feel all the emotions of the characters. And I truly enjoyed the story it told me.

All in all, the book deals with the important question of: what is justice? It deals with the corrupt criminal system and murder. That is way I would recommend it to older teenagers and adults. A small book with powerful writing that makes you think. I would recommend this book to all my friends. And anyone that wishes to learn a bit more about justice in a world that seems to be anything but.

Justice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I agree with you that the book is written beautifully.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read the book and loved it! This is a powerful psychological thriller involving disintegrating marriages, love, betrayal, loyalty, and ultimately justice. I agree that it is a well-structured story. I loved that the story is told through multiple characters' perspectives, thus giving us a better understanding of their conduct. I agree that it is a powerful tale. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

Justice seems a questionable topic in today's world. This book highlights how different people view said topic. It includes adultery and the legal justice system. Well-written and professionally edited, this sounds like a must-read.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

So many powerful emotions in this novella. I would love to give it a try. Good job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

This book addresses a very common problem faced by most modern couples. Nicely reviewed. Congratulations BOTD!
Kola+wole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kola-wole.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kola+wole »

What is justice? Can a broken system dole out justice? The theme of the book suggests an interesting read and it seems capable of evoking strong emotions like you mentioned. Great review.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This sounds so interesting and captivating. I am sure one can learn so much about the justice system and how people view it. I am adding the book to my shelf. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Diana +
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana.html
Latest Review: The Devil's Eclipse by Christopher Williams

Post by Diana + »

Thank you for sharing the review! I love the general plot of the book, it must be so powerful, firm and strong moving. And it also gives food for thought which is great
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

It sounds like an amazing book 📖 for me: character-driven, thought-provoking and with powerful language.
Your enthusiasm truly shines through your review. Thank you!!!
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ankushavhad »

Good review, Tan TR. Thanks.
Well, the young couple Marcus and Brynn could not make the marriage happy! The reason is not to seek a fix in court, but mutual consents and trust. However, Joseph, a prosecutor, proves their justice is not the real answer in scam system.
I think the psychological reasoning lies in the case, what the couple’s mindset be ready to accept.
Looks a good book that can help married people save their marriages, if not live happy!
Anna Dougherty
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-dougherty.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Anna Dougherty »

I love how the author connects all three characters, even though they are so different.
rondanoh1
Favorite Book: 101 Dalmations
Currently Reading: Devil Among Us
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rondanoh1.html
Latest Review: Daniel and Revelation for Today by Mae Abdul-Karim Wertz
Reading Device: B07K1RZWMC

Post by rondanoh1 »

It sounds like this book covers several issues of the day. Thanks for the insightful review. I will have to add it to my to-read list.
Sydney Nyamasoka
Currently Reading: The 1000 most important questions you will ever ask yourself
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-nyamasoka.html
Latest Review: The Harder I Fall, The Higher I Bounce by Max James

Post by Sydney Nyamasoka »

Excellent review, thank you. The focus on Justice makes for an enlightening read. I would like to read this book.
Search for, and find, real meaning in life and live purposefully.
Tonze
Currently Reading: Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonze.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Tonze »

I am quite sure that I will enjoy reading this book since after only reading this review I feel the story in the book sounds interesting.
I can't wait to find out what really is justice,the raison why some people choose to cheat on their partner.
Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”