Review of Shepherds of Destiny

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
meleri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meleri.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Review by meleri -- Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Post by meleri »

[i][Following is a volunteer review of "Shepherds of Destiny" by Kiel Barnekov.][/i]

[rwc=id420853-125]3 out of 4 stars.[/rwc][i]Shepherds of Destiny[/i] by Keil Barnekov is one heck of a roller coaster ride of a book. The book starts in 2028 with the Barnett's. Kristian Barnett is a billionaire through a family inheritance. He falls ill to Lou Gehrig's disease, which is a slowly debilitating disease that leads to eventual death. His wife, Dr. Ansley Barnett, is part of a team working on a cyborg body that is identical to a real human body.

Next, we meet Dr. Savannah Richards, a neurosurgeon who developed a method to preserve a brain outside the body. As Kristian's health fails, Dr. Richards removes Kristian's brain and preserves it for possible replacement in another body.

Soon Kristian's disembodied brain is visited by The Guardian. The Guardian is a supernatural spirit that looks for problems in timelines. It can go backward or forward in time and correct a timeline that is headed down the wrong path. But the only way The Guardian can do this is with the help of a human spirit without a body. The first timeline correction The Guardian and Kristian fix is with a US Civil War incident that could lead to the South winning the war. If this timeline is not corrected, the United States will lose World War II.

The military is funding the research of Dr. Ansley, and is pressuring her to finish the work and have a fully working cyborg with a human brain from a military veteran. Aaron Adams soon fits the criteria for this transplant. Aaron is almost killed in an accident in outer space and he is only kept alive by life support. His brain is scanned and downloaded into a cyborg body, and his brain is preserved like Kristian's was.

Aaron is soon visited by The Guardian to fix a timeline error in which the US loses WWII and the free world. Now it is Kristian's turn to get a cyborg body. After he does, The Guardian uses both Kristian and Aaron to stop a future technology that could control human thoughts, and enslave the entire world to a few in the military.

The book is very riveting, and keeps you glued to the pages. There are several story lines all happening simultaneously, but are very easy to keep up with. There are also several cliff hangers at the end of the book which I see leading to a future book. The book is well written and enjoyable to read. I would recommend this book to all audiences.

There are a few issues of wording where an extra word is used and should not have been. Also, there are three times near the end of the book when Kristian and Aaron's names get mixed up, and makes the comprehension difficult.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, but because of the simple mistakes, I give the book a [b]three out of four rating[/b].

[i]Shepherds of Destiny [/i]
View: [url=http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelves/book.php?id=420853]on Bookshelves[/url] | [amazon=B07TLDW7Q7]on Amazon[/amazon]

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”