Review by mmesoma_francis -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmesoma_francis
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmesoma-francis.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Review by mmesoma_francis -- The Reel Sisters

Post by mmesoma_francis »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Friends by chance and sisters by choice. The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is a tale of four ladies with dissimilar lifestyles and personalities who are brought together by their love for fly fishing. Rose owns a cabin where the girls visit every once in a while to take away the stress of life by fly fishing and having fun together. Amanda is a school teacher whose soldier husband is barely ever around, Veronica is a complete city girl who would not be caught dead with a fishing rod on a normal day, and Sophie owns a greenhouse. On one of their weekend fishing expeditions, they discover and rescue a naked photographer from drowning. They welcome her into their cabin and soon enough into their close-knit group. Melody feels new confidence within her after an unanticipated weekend with the girls and a fly fishing encounter with Rose that adds a different perspective to her life.

Before I read this book, I had no idea what fly fishing was. I only knew that it probably involved using a fishing rod. After reading this book, however, I can say that my vocabulary now has more fly fishing-related terminologies. Even though I might never use words like ‘waders’ and ‘hackles’ in my conversations, I am happy to have been able to enrich my vocabulary through this engaging read. I would also like to commend the author for her ability to bring out my strongest emotions in the course of this book. I must warn of an unexpected earth-shaking plot twist.

One thing I like about the book is how the characters seem to apply their achievements and failures in fishing to their real life. The lessons they learn, the mistakes they make, and even their successes help them make better decisions in their lives. For the characters, it’s not just about hunting for fish and celebrating a new catch. It’s about learning life lessons and building deeper connections with each other. It’s about moving on from the past and looking towards a brighter future. And what’s more, fishing together was a way of strengthening their sisterhood and helping each other get through tough times. I did not dislike any aspect of the book.

While and after reading this book, I was able to deeply reflect on my life and the true meaning of friendship. I enjoyed answering the questions that came at the end of the book. After reading this book, I can say that I have been able to re-evaluate my friendships and relationships with other people. I have made a resolve to improve the quality of relationships I have with other people because I have learned that any friendship worth keeping is worth keeping well.

The author has a beautiful way of incorporating and switching between the P.O.V’s of the characters. The perspectives blend in seamlessly and beautifully. …also makes references to other fly fishing books, using informative excerpts from them at intervals. I liked the use of beautiful fishing art in the formatting. Every chapter has a fishing rod cast over the name of whoever’s point of view it is. This contributed to the aesthetic quality of the book and made it seem more appealing.

I would recommend this book not only to anyone interested in fishing but also to people who appreciate the essence of friendship and the wonders of nature. It’s the perfect read for anyone looking for something comfortable to pass time. Any age group can read this book as there are only one or two instances of borderline vulgarity. However, atheists might not like this book because there are references to God. There are no erotic scenes, and the book must have been well edited because I did not find any spelling or grammatical errors.

For being such a wonderful book and for the beautiful reflections this book has led me to, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I do not think I will ever come across a book that speaks to me as much as this one did.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”