Review by victoriasimons -- Worldlines by Adam Guest

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
victoriasimons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriasimons.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by victoriasimons -- Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by victoriasimons »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Worldlines" by Adam Guest.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you’re looking for a science fiction book with a concept you’ve never encountered before and a generous handful of crime and suspense thrown in, you have to read Worldlines by Adam Guest. This book skilfully handles a fantastical scientific theory of alternate dimensions, incorporating the dream world, whilst still retaining complete plausibility. I was intrigued from start to finish and remarkably, both satisfied with the ending and simultaneously eager to read more.

Believability and emotional investment in such an unlikely plot are largely achieved through the careful groundwork set out by the first chapters. By Chapter 6, while I was enjoying the great analytical voice of our protagonist, Gary, and his often comical descriptions of mundane things such as the London Underground, I was beginning to question when the main plot would become apparent. A lot of detail of Gary’s skiing trip with his girlfriend, Michelle, was provided and I could not initially appreciate why.

However, as the story progressed, I realised with increasing awe and admiration, that every single detail had been necessary. The multiverse theory is inherently complicated, but through meticulous structuring and clear evidence of professional editing (I only spotted a single typo within the text), a clear understanding of what is happening and where we are in time, space and relativity is never sacrificed. We understand that one version of Gary commits an unforgiveable crime in a worldline different to his own, with colossal consequences. There are a number of sections where our narrator repeats his opinions on certain topics but through the unaware voice of his alternate self: upon recognising this device, I found myself helplessly grinning at the superb craftmanship and consistency of character. This illustrates the continuity of tone and plot throughout, despite the jumps between different worldlines.

In addition to the clear and intriguing presentation of plot, the characters in Worldlines are well established and evoke empathy from the reader. The story centres around three main characters, Gary, Sinead and Michelle, each of which have strong, identifiable characteristics that aid the fluidity of the story. The reader is introduced to the parents and siblings of each character and the varying family dynamics dependent on what has transpired in each worldline, yet their personalities remain predominantly constant. The result of this is some incredibly powerful scenes, particularly toward the end, when the stakes are extremely high and I was desperate to discover the outcome. I felt tearful, excited, exhilarated and relieved, all within a matter of pages. In short, I cared deeply about what happened to the characters.

Any criticism I might have made of the book, was nullified before I finished reading it. Whilst the plot does depend on a series of coincidences and fortunate encounters, this is both acknowledged by the characters and generally irrelevant to the quality of the story. Many fantastic works of fiction could similarly be picked apart for this ‘flaw’ and to do so seems to miss the point.

Therefore, I did not deliberate much before deciding to give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The standard of writing is excellent and the content is original and emotive. I would urge anyone with an interest in science fiction, or indeed just great storytelling, to pick up this book.

Worldlines
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: I Have Proof of a Higher Power by Ioan Dirina

Post by Harty Muli »

Quite a touching review on multiverse involving the character Gary. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

This is a beautifully written review! You touched on every relevant point needed with a clear and precise explanation of its relevance to the story and plot itself. You've certainly sold me on reading the book, especially since I am fond of the 'multiverse' concept. Thanks for the reference!
victoriasimons
Currently Reading:

Post by victoriasimons »

Slater678 wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 01:07 Quite a touching review on multiverse involving the character Gary. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Thanks so much, I'm glad you liked it.
victoriasimons
Currently Reading:

Post by victoriasimons »

Kelyn wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 17:58 This is a beautifully written review! You touched on every relevant point needed with a clear and precise explanation of its relevance to the story and plot itself. You've certainly sold me on reading the book, especially since I am fond of the 'multiverse' concept. Thanks for the reference!
Thank you so much, I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did!
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

This is really a great book. I loved the premise and got attached to the characters. It has an interesting and unique plot, it's a different science fiction story. Thanks for the great review! I enjoyed reading it.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

I love the idea of multiverses and this book is already on my long "To-read" list. You have given such a comprehensive review and I am drawn more into reading Worldlines. Thank you for such a comprehensive review!
victoriasimons
Currently Reading:

Post by victoriasimons »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 05:53 This is really a great book. I loved the premise and got attached to the characters. It has an interesting and unique plot, it's a different science fiction story. Thanks for the great review! I enjoyed reading it.
I completely agree! The fact that it's different makes it appeal to a wider audience, in my opinion. Thank you for engaging with my review!
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

From your review, I'm getting a massive thriller vibe. I am a sucker for thrillers with a tinge of sci-fi. Thanks for adding another book to my shelf. Awesome review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Nehal Mitna
Favorite Book: The Champagne Tales
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nehal-mitna.html

Post by Nehal Mitna »

I completely agree that the book is flawless in terms of story telling. It completely engages you and keeps you hooked right till the end. Thanks for sharing your detailed review!
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

The plotline is indeed intriguing and unique. I love that you have included so many details into this review. Great job!
Brianna_MC_griffin97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brianna-mc-griffin97.html
Latest Review: Finding James by Nancy Blaha

Post by Brianna_MC_griffin97 »

Great review! I enjoyed this book, too. It is definitely a book that someone needs to pay close attention to because so much is happening. It is easy to look over small details.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I've read this book and I like it quite a bit! You wrote a really nice review! It seems that you paid so much attention while you were reading, and you supported your opinions well!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”