Review by ReadMeow -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReadMeow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readmeow.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Review by ReadMeow -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by ReadMeow »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jorge Newbery's inspiring memoir, Burn Zones, weaves the story of Newbery's rise to financial stardom, his subsequent fall, and the trials that he faced along the way. Newbery also shares through his book experiences in love and loss, and the making of a young man with big dreams. It is a riveting tale with much to offer for readers going through hard times. Newbery lifts up his readers through his book of struggles and triumphs and reminds his audience that with hard work, one's wildest dreams are possible.

Burn Zones is a book suitable for most ages, although there are some instances of profanity and mature themes such as racism, depression, and death. The use of these themes is purposeful and meant to depict the times and the experiences of the author as accurately as possible. While such things may be uncomfortable to read for some, they add depth to the book and are important in their effects on the author and his readers. There is also a short scene in the book in which the author attends a business meeting at a strip club. However, the incident is brief and non-graphic. The purpose of its inclusion is primarily to show the reader how distasteful the elite business world can be.

Burn Zones by Jorge Newbery warrants a three out of four rating. The book is engaging and pleasant to read, but it does contain some choices by the author that render it a great deal less than perfect. At the beginning of the book, Newbery comes across as egotistical and full of himself sometimes. For example, he lists his greatest strengths and his worst flaws. Most of the items on each list are the same, which gives the impression that the author believes even his flaws are good. As the book continues, it becomes clear that is not the case, but that instance, among others at the beginning of the book, offers a negative impression of the author and almost makes one put the book down with an eye-roll. Newbery also tends to be excessively wordy in his writing and includes too much detail at times. In some parts of Newbery's book, he overwrites to the point of irritation to the reader.

To his credit, Newbery writes well. His book is engaging and quite a page-turner for readers interested in memoirs or business. There are not only business lessons to be learned in the book, but also life lessons. Newbery makes perseverance and ambition seem attainable for all with his inspiring story and reminds his reader to try to be optimistic even when hope seems scarce.

Burn Zones by Jorge Newbery is a page-turning memoir that brings the reader into Newbery's hardships and victories. It both brings the reader down to earth and inspires one to do more. Through his striking writing, Jorge Newbery passes on what he has learned to the audience and discovers himself. It is an enjoyable read for almost anyone who appreciates a story of overcoming hardship and life's challenges.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mukukamm30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukukamm30.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mukukamm30 »

A very interesting memoir about Newbery I must say. He deserves credit for having had the courage to pick himself up from the ashes. Reading memoirs is a good idea if you want to learn life lessons and how to tackle them.
I would definitely want to read the book and congratulations on a nicely done review.
Prachi Randeria
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prachi-randeria.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Prachi Randeria »

Being too much wordy can form a bad impression. Since you say that the book is such a page-turner, I think I might give this one a try. Great review!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I also reviewed this book! It has so many valuable lessons in it!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Lila Randhawa
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lila-randhawa.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by Lila Randhawa »

It takes immense courage to write about ones misfortunes and what they learned from them. It can be educational for many. I haven't come across many reviews about this book rated less than four. I enjoyed reading your take on the book. Thanks for the great review.
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Drado_27 »

Love your insights. I appreciate you mentioning that the author is full of self at the moments because it helps other readers know what they're getting into.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”