Review by Seroney_ -- Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Review by Seroney_ -- Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Mutai Marshal »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Beneath the Muscle" by Lauren Powers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Born in 1961, Lauren Powers was surrounded mostly by women (mother, auntie, a female cousin, and grandma) in her childhood. In her elementary education, she was subjected to firsthand discrimination due to her poor eyesight by students. She avenged this by performing astoundingly-well in her class. She would later study business at the University of Hawaii.

Beneath the Muscle provides an insight into the author’s life as a firefighter, lover for waterskiing, entrepreneur (marketing), and bodybuilder. As a sojourner, she counters the Naysayers and addiction to drugs. It is during her recovery that she relishes that sobriety is a mindset.

While rhapsodizing the atrocities in her lifetime, Powers enlightens the reader about the steps to success. She divided the memoir into four parts: My Journey, Starting the Journey, Keys to Success, and Continuing Your Success. Days before her fortieth birthday, Powers ventured into bodybuilding. The majority of the people in her class were in their twenties and early thirties. With sheer determination, she faced every obstacle gallantly in the male-dominated industry. Two lustrums later, she reaped handsomely. Find out more how Lauren Powers wriggled and tiptoed from the grassroots level to becoming a celebrated ten-time heavyweight bodybuilding champion, by grabbing a copy of this book.

Over the years, women have been demeaned by men as being feeble and incapable. I was thrilled by the passion, commitment, and hard work of the protagonist. She argues that taking the route less traveled (bodybuilding) made all the difference. Again, realizing the insidious effects of drug abuse, she quit the practice. I found this fascinating as she has never looked back since then.

The author wrote the book from a first-person perspective. By utilizing an apprehensive language, the message is easily fathomable. There were light moments in the book that made my reading experience delightful (I won’t provide spoilers). I appreciated the inclusion of graphical representations in the book. My favorite was a picture between Arnold Schwarzenegger and Lauren at the Arnold Strongman Competition, USA. Moreover, I envied her hard-earned medals as an athlete (I possess just a few accolades). The only thing I disapproved of about this book was the author’s sexual orientation due to my religious beliefs.

The book was edited by a professional since I hardly noted any typographical errors. I flagged no profanity or sexual scenes. The emphasis on passion and hard work is what I liked the most. Many times, I spend time grinding in the gym. The output reflects my robust input. I have encountered catastrophic concussions while engaging in a rewarding contact sport. Without passion and hard work as my pillars, I would have dropped workouts and sporting activities to avert pain and injuries associated. Legend has it that without pain, there is no gain.

I strongly recommend this book to all women because of its empowering capacity. Sportspersons will equally pick priceless lessons by making it their handbook. I gladly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars as nothing (even my beliefs) in it warrants a star deduction.

Beneath the Muscle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a very inspiring read definitely worth checking out :) Thanks for a great review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I admire Lauren's sheer strength and determination. She proves that life can actually begin at 40. An inspiring read indeed. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

This book just smacks of "effort". I'd like to have a willpower as strong as the author's. I'm already motivated by reading your review.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This is quite inspiring and motivating. I would like to read this book someday. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I liked the author's attitude towards life. She was unstoppable. The changes she made in life were inspiring. I enjoyed reading the book too. Lovely review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Lots of positive reviews for this book. Am glad that you found it inspiring too. Thanks for the detailed review and recommendation.
MuthoniMuriithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muthonimuriithi.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MuthoniMuriithi »

The author's use of strong female characters is fascinating. Thanks for your review.
ROMANS 8:31
What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

Thanks for the recommendation. Your review is well detailed!
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It is inspiring to see the author go after a goal without letting anything limit her - not even age! Her accomplishment and awards help others to see that, so often, the obstacles are only in their minds. Thanks for this motivational review.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

What a wonderfully written review. You made the book sound so interesting and inspiring! Thank you for your awesome writing style, Seroney!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

It is a great empowering book to females. Thanks for the nice and descriptive review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I loved, loved this book when I read it, too. Powers is truly a unique and strong woman. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like the author has a lot to offer. She was involved in a lot of male dominated jobs or hobbies. I've heard so many good things about this one that it's definitely worth reading. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

Wow, this must be such an empowering and inspirational book! Thank you very much for the insightful review.
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”