Review by LuciusM -- Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Review by LuciusM -- Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by LuciusM »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Spirit of the Season" by Brian Lamont.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont is a simple tale of a young candle maker living in the early years of industrialization. Having mastered the skill of candle making from his late father, he lived in an idyllic English country and made candles for a living. He had then improved the techniques and reformed the workshop that his father had left. Working at nights and resting throughout the day, the young candle maker was able to supply candles beyond the districts to homes of the wealthy and the cathedral in the great city. Uneducated and having been in the company of his late father for many years, the young candle maker is brought out to exhibit an antisocial behavior.

One day, he saved a man who had broken his leg. Squire, as he came to know his name later, appreciates the young candle maker’s humane act by gifting him a horse which helps him win the heart of a young woman, daughter of a storekeeper. They both marry and after a few years, through a twist of fate, his newly wedded bride dies during child birth together with the infant. Forsaken and feeling the despair of his life, the candle maker is forced to suppress his past by locking himself in his cottage for many years just warming by the hearth and drinking wine.

I enjoyed reading through the first five chapters of the novel because of its simple language and a straightforward plot. The narration was also consistent. I liked the way Brian Lamont portrayed the friendship between the young candle maker and the storekeeper’s daughter and how it graduated to love. It was really refreshing to see how the two worked and supported one another.

I disliked this novel and I had several issues with it. After the death of the candle maker’s wife, the conflict of the novel seems to have been resolved in the preliminary chapters and the story begins to bore. It appears to me as if the author shifted from narrating the story to giving a biography of the protagonist. It was disappointing that the last chapters did not reignite my interest in the book. I absolutely disliked the fact that there were no significant plot twists.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. There were a few things that I felt could have been improved upon. To start with, some adventures by the protagonist were not necessary as they did not affect the progress of the story. It is easy for a reader to skip a chapter and still catch up with the storyline. I also felt that the book did not have a satisfying ending that could blow me away. The ending was hastily arrived and left me with questions. Nevertheless, I recommend the book to lovers of historical books.

Spirit of the Season
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"
MuthoniMuriithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muthonimuriithi.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MuthoniMuriithi »

I am hooked by reading through your review. Keep up
ROMANS 8:31
What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Josep22 »

The story sounds quite intriguing. Definitely worth a read.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

The plot seemed good at the beginning. But sorry to know that the last chapters were not as expected. Thanks for your honest review.
keiyoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keiyoshi.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by keiyoshi »

Congratulations on your first review! It's a shame that your first had to be something you didn't like much. However, based from your review, it seemed as though the book is monotonous and that might contribute a lot to the book's impression. Thanks on the great review! Looking forward to hearing (or should I say reading) more from you.
LuciusM
Currently Reading:

Post by LuciusM »

Josep22 wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 12:42 The story sounds quite intriguing. Definitely worth a read.
Thanks so much. I hope you will read and give me your feedback.
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"
LuciusM
Currently Reading:

Post by LuciusM »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 12:49 The plot seemed good at the beginning. But sorry to know that the last chapters were not as expected. Thanks for your honest review.
Thank you and most regards.
LuciusM
Currently Reading:

Post by LuciusM »

Kei Nakagawa wrote: 09 Aug 2020, 11:12 Congratulations on your first review! It's a shame that your first had to be something you didn't like much. However, based from your review, it seemed as though the book is monotonous and that might contribute a lot to the book's impression. Thanks on the great review! Looking forward to hearing (or should I say reading) more from you.
Thanks for the compliment. Am on an endeavor to explore more books. I hope they will be captivating.
Panfov
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Panfov »

Sounds like a good plot, it’s too bad the become became boring though. Thanks for the great review.
LuciusM
Currently Reading:

Post by LuciusM »

Panfov wrote: 09 Aug 2020, 15:36 Sounds like a good plot, it’s too bad the become became boring though. Thanks for the great review.
Thanks so much. I would like to hear from you if you get to read the book.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

The plot sounded interesting to me, too. Too bad about its challenges. Thanks for such an honest review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

It’s a shame that the story was already resolved from the very start. I appreciate its simplicity though.

Nice review!
LiLj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilj.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by LiLj »

I really liked the plot of this book, I wish that it wasn’t a bore after the first five chapters though, I think I’ll have to pass on this book. Thanks for the informative review.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

It' sad that the author failed to keep the momentum of such a potentially interesting story. Thank you for your honest and detailed review :)
Mukukamm30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukukamm30.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mukukamm30 »

I had envisioned a compelling story initially. A great disappointment for a seemingly gripping tale of the candle maker.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”