Review by Miks_solon -- First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by Miks_solon -- First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Miks_solon »

[Following is a volunteer review of "First Lessons" by Lina J. Potter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Aliya wakes up in a completely different world and body after she has encountered a car accident in her original life. She used to be an active medical student who would do sacrifices just to paint a wonderful future for her family’s welfare. At first, she was grumpy about dealing with her new life; however, she then realizes that she wasn’t born just to give up. Aliya was reborn as Countess Lillian Earton, who ought to rule a collapsing kingdom in an alternate medieval time. She has to get up and do her responsibility to save their falling realm.

First Lessons is the first book of the Medieval Times series written by Lina J. Potter. It is a historical fiction starred by a female protagonist that features social issues mainly about gender discrimination. The plot of this fiction centres on the idea of time travel, wherein a woman in the present time reincarnated to the body of someone who no longer wants to live. The book is written from the author’s point of view, and it helped in imposing an idea.

“There were just four things a woman could be (five at most): daughter, wife, mother, widow, and slut. That was it. There were no other roles for them—no free and independent women, no feminism, no selfsufficiency. If you didn’t like it, you could be branded a witch and executed.” This line in location 37 had me captivated. As a woman, I am proud of the author’s initiative in producing a story that covers sexism. I am aware that this has been prevalent even in medieval times but this book helped me to be enlightened on how bad it was. My favourite aspect of the book is its theme; feminism. The character exhibits a well-rounded development throughout the story. The struggle of the main character to progress was the women’s lack of authority at that time. Females were expected to be doing the household chores and a pawn for marriage in order to obtain a quality state of living. Moreover, I could say that the author’s works were well-researched. She provides footnotes consisting of the history, definition of terms, and other explanations of the unfamiliar elements in the story.

My least favourites are: first, the author’s style of jumping from one setting to another. She failed to do it in a satisfying manner. In some parts, I get lost on track since I can no longer follow the scene. Second, Aliya’s attitude was cold and unrealistic. The moment she knew about being on someone’s body, she did neither panic nor show agitation about her situation. Instead, she was just relaxed and annoyed at the same time about her fats, the nanny’s dirty apron, and the pink paint on her room. Lastly, the book has an open ending. I understand that this has a sequel, but Potter must have given her readers a satisfying ending that will cause us to eagerly wait for the second book. Although I do not have a problem regarding its translation and grammar, the format and organization of the book really bother me. It is really tiring to look at.

Due to the flaws mentioned above, I’ll rate it with 3 out of 4 stars. I’ll only deduct one point since rating it lesser will not give justice on how wonderfully-written this book is. I recommend this to readers who love science fiction novels, particularly stories involving time traveling. Furthermore, this suits all ages since it contains no disturbing issues and vulgar scenes. The gender-based barriers in the story can teach young women the importance of supporting other women. Equally, this can convey a moral lesson to young men to be aware of the significance of gender-equality in building society.

First Lessons
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Sounds like an adventure but I'm curious as to what happens to her old family. The author was clever to introduce that fantastic twist.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I liked that the book has a solid background regarding to feminism, but I'm not a big fan of open endings either. Thank you for this insightful review!
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

I love the idea of using time travel to explain gender roles in a historical sense. It's an intriguing topic and I'm interested in how the main character dealt with a completely different lifestyle.

I really enjoyed reading your review and I'm glad you mentioned the importance of feminism.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This sounds intriguing. I would like to read Aliya’s story. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 10:17 This sounds intriguing. I would like to read Aliya’s story. Thanks for your wonderful review!
azidy wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 09:10 I love the idea of using time travel to explain gender roles in a historical sense. It's an intriguing topic and I'm interested in how the main character dealt with a completely different lifestyle.

I really enjoyed reading your review and I'm glad you mentioned the importance of feminism.
Ellylion wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 07:03 I liked that the book has a solid background regarding to feminism, but I'm not a big fan of open endings either. Thank you for this insightful review!
Olabode Joshua wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 12:17 Sounds like an adventure but I'm curious as to what happens to her old family. The author was clever to introduce that fantastic twist.
Thank you so much for your kind comments!
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

This sounds like an interesting novel! I'm intrigued by the way the author has incorporated those gender discrimination issues into the book. Looking forward to reading this sometime. Thanks for the great review!
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

A book with moral lessons is a must-read. Your review is well detailed.
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

Seems to be a good book. Nice review.
This leaves me with an urge to read the book.
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Lovely review from you Miks! I enjoyed reading it as it was very engaging. Good job!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”