Review by femma -- Deceitful Survival by LC Lee

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
femma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-femma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Review by femma -- Deceitful Survival by LC Lee

Post by femma »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Deceitful Survival" by LC Lee.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Deceitful Survival by LC Lee is a historical fiction on the life of Elizabeth. She was fifteen years old when she witnessed the brutal murder of her mother by her father. An experience that left some dark side in Elizabeth’s life as she dares not tell anyone about it. Elizabeth was later forced to live with her aunt after the passing of her father. This arrangement was a short one. She was later forced to flee because of the unbearable chores and the fear of being raped.

Elizabeth joined the Sisters of Ursuline to become a nun, and she was renamed to Sister Mary Andrée. She took her vows after years of study and servitude and was sent to Haiti for an experience that would forever change her life. While in Haiti, Andrée was faced with a different tumultuous event, and she had no choice than to survive by any means possible.

Deceitful Survival is a romance-based novel with 336 pages, subdivided into thirty-eight chapters. The story is narrated in the first person singular, using the voice of Elizabeth. LC Lee did a spectacular job in the thoughtful casting of all the characters in this book. It was so spectacular to read about Elizabeth’s outlook on life and obligations while growing up. She’s often confronted with emotional and romance-related problems combined with her inexperience with her sexuality, which often contrasts with her vows in the novel.

What I like the most about this book is the surviving instinct of Elizabeth. She didn’t allow any obstacle to stand between her and her family. She even learns a few new languages needed for her to survive. I also love the way the author delivers the entertaining plotline. Though it lacks some quality action scene, yet the Vodun scenes give some thought-provoking suspense.

What I appreciate the least in this book is the author’s lengthy explanation of the location or object. It kept things repetitive and a bit bland with needless focus. I also did not understand the needless hysteria of Andrée, particularly with Carlos and Mico.

I generally enjoyed this book as it was well edited with just the right amount of suspense and no profane word. However, this book contains a few erotic scenes, although not an intense one. I would, therefore, rate this book four out of four stars. I recommend this book to any young adult who loves historical fiction, romance and thrilling genre.

Deceitful Survival
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
KenzyO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by KenzyO »

This is a book to look out for, must be very hard for Elizabeth to have experience such a gruesome fiasco while growing up. Thanks for this review.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

This is a book I will love to read. I appreciate the survival mentality of Elizabeth too. Despite all odd, she press on. Nice review.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

I read the sample of the book and I like the book. Your review supports my idea. Thanks!
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

The character seems strong and well-rounded. It’s incredible how she manages to go through all those hardships. Good job on the review!
Fem187
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fem187.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Fem187 »

Eloping with a priest and getting married is a hard reality for these lovers When the system is structured to prevent them with no choice. I'll love to read this book. Thanks for the review.
Bukola02
Currently Reading: Prince Player
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukola02.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Bukola02 »

I would love to this book. It must have been traumatizing for Elizabeth to watch her father murder her mother. I would love to find out how she survived and pulled through. Thanks for the review.
femma
Currently Reading:

Post by femma »

Star_and_Buck wrote: 25 Aug 2020, 20:16 I read the sample of the book and I like the book. Your review supports my idea. Thanks!
Yeah, thanks for the comment
femma
Currently Reading:

Post by femma »

lavenderbooks20 wrote: 25 Aug 2020, 20:56 The character seems strong and well-rounded. It’s incredible how she manages to go through all those hardships. Good job on the review!
I totally agree with you. Thanks for the comment
femma
Currently Reading:

Post by femma »

Bukola02 wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 04:08 I would love to this book. It must have been traumatizing for Elizabeth to watch her father murder her mother. I would love to find out how she survived and pulled through. Thanks for the review.
It's just so incredible how she managed by. Thanks for the comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”