Review by Ellylion -- Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Review by Ellylion -- Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by Ellylion »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Spirit of the Season" by Brian Lamont.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont is a fascinating tale that allows us to follow the life of a humble candle maker who stays unnamed to the very end of the book.

The author narrates about the candle maker's childhood with his father in a distant house in the woods. He helped his father to make and sell candles, the only source of light in the neighborhood. The boy was shy and used to avoid people. He didn't change even when he grew up and inherited the workshop from his father.

Years passed by, the candle maker found a loved one and lived happily with her for a while. But she died, giving birth to their child who didn't make it either. In despair, the candle maker shut himself in his lonely house. Then something quite miraculous turned him back towards people and gave sense to his life again.

This book is about the solitary person struggling to adjust himself to the ever-changing world. It tells us that progress very often has an ugly face. Also, it's about faith and how to keep it.

This relatively short book has 134 (128) pages, and it is divided into 12 chapters. The book captures our attention from the first page and holds it to the final one. The author makes the characters, among them a boy that helps the candle maker in his workshop, a storm-beaten tailor he unexpectedly meets, and even village people, very vivid and reliable with just a couple of strokes.

The writing style gives this book a flair of the ancient legends, making the narrative even more engaging.

The only thing about this book that left me uncertain was the tailor's character. He remained obscure, and it was not quite clear whether he finally found peace with himself or not.

I did not find any errors, so I concluded that the book was exceptionally well edited. Thus, it is my greatest pleasure to award it with 4 out of 4 stars.

It is needless to say that the book has no profanity or any adult content at all.

I recommend it to a large audience because everybody can find there something inspiring and heartwarming. The book is suitable for adult readers, and a young audience can enjoy it as well. Also, this book is for all those who love making an occasional gift just to brighten someone else's day.

The book teaches us that we are able to create a fairy tale for ourselves or those around us, no matter how hard the times are. It gives hope that anyone can become a light bearer to all who are sad, scared, and heartbroken.

In conclusion, I would love to add that this book is a possible biography of the very well-known figure. The author lovingly adds detail after detail to reveal his identity at the very end of the story. It is a beautiful journey for those of us who believe in good and kindness, no matter what.

Spirit of the Season
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

“The book teaches us that we are able to create a fairy tale for ourselves or those around us.” I loved this line. I definitely want to read this book someday. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 06:03 “The book teaches us that we are able to create a fairy tale for ourselves or those around us.” I loved this line. I definitely want to read this book someday. Thanks for your wonderful review.
This book is really special :) Thank you very much for your comments!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Wow, so unique -revealing the main character at the end?! Very true that progress has an ugly face. Pity party is more appealing when everything goes wrong. Hope to read it. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Cotwani wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 08:42 Wow, so unique -revealing the main character at the end?! Very true that progress has an ugly face. Pity party is more appealing when everything goes wrong. Hope to read it. Great review!
Yes, at the very end! :D This book is a true gift I dare say :) Thank you very much!
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Nice one..... I like the message that this book intends to pass. I enjoyed reading your review as it was both detailed and insightful. Good job!
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Vic Chimezie wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 09:09 Nice one..... I like the message that this book intends to pass. I enjoyed reading your review as it was both detailed and insightful. Good job!
Thank you! :)
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I read so many good reviews about this bok. I'd def check it out. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
moowshiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moowshiri.html
Latest Review: The Kings Death by Ed Cannon

Post by moowshiri »

I would love to know what turned the candlemaker to the people. Therefore, the book is a must-grab for me. Thanks for the insightful review.
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Elvis Best wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 17:44 I read so many good reviews about this bok. I'd def check it out. Great review!
Thank you very much! :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

moowshiri wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 18:42 I would love to know what turned the candlemaker to the people. Therefore, the book is a must-grab for me. Thanks for the insightful review.
You will love it! Thank you very much for your comments! :)
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

This kind of book seems to calm. Thanks for your review.
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I wonder what miracle inspired him to open himself up to the world again. This really sounds like a heartwarming story! Thank you so much for your beautifully written review.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

I read the book but it started to bore me after the death of storekeeper's daughter. I think the flow of the story changed to kind of biography-oriented. Thanks for your honest review.
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Miks_solon wrote: 16 Aug 2020, 06:04 This kind of book seems to calm. Thanks for your review.
Thank you for your comments! :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”