Review by aaurba -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Review by aaurba -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters tells the story of its five female chief characters: Sophie, Rose, Amanda, Veronica, and Melody. Written by Michelle Cummings, the book is divided into ten sections and is told through a first-person perspective. As the events unfold, the narration shifts from one character to another. The book focuses on the characters’ thoughts and emotions, so a first-person narrative is an excellent choice in storytelling because readers will feel the characters' emotions more accurately than when another point of view is used.

Up in the mountains where Rose’s cabin is situated, Sophie and Rose are preparing for the arrival of their friends, Amanda and Veronica. It had been months since the four of them met and went fly-fishing with each other. Meanwhile, Melody, a passionate photographer who photographs in nightclubs and concert venues, has not seen the sun for over two months. Looking for a change, she altered her environment and went photographing outdoors. While nude, she was taking a photo of herself on one of the rocks in a river when she accidentally lost her balance and fell into the fast-flowing river. Will Melody survive? If so, how? How will she be associated with the four women?

What I liked the most is reading about the characters’ friendship. Looking from the outside, a person might think that these women are plainly fly-fishing. But what’s happening is they are further developing their friendship. Their camaraderie is wholesome, and they are incredibly supportive of each other. Learning the details of their fellowship makes me desire to be a fly fisher and form a close bond that is heartwarming and solid.

It is apparent that the sport of fly fishing is the central theme of the story. The principal characters are fly fishers; fly fishing is the hobby that unites them. So when the author included information and advice about fly fishing, I think it is appropriate. The author herself has been fly-fishing for years, so we can presume that the included pieces of advice are accurate. Additionally, the author has satisfactorily incorporated these pieces of information into the book. Instead of feeling bored, I was quite intrigued when I read about these. Specifically, I felt delighted when I learned, through a tale narrated by Rose, how the Parachute Adams fly got its name.

I noticed only one grammatical mistake, so I think the book is professionally edited. Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I didn’t dislike any aspect of the book, and I loved reading about the characters’ relationships. I recommend this to female fly fishers since this book appeals to them. The difference between the experiences of a woman fly fisher and a man fly fisher isn’t tremendous, so I believe that male fly fishers could also enjoy reading this book. Readers who are into fast-paced and plot-driven books might not want to read this. If you are curious about the sport of fly fishing, reading this book might convince you to take up fly-fishing lessons and be a fly fisher.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

When I read the story, I felt that it was bland. But series of reviews on this book has shown me the beautiful side of this book.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert

Post by Harty Muli »

I like the theme of friendship discussed in the book. Thanks for an informative review.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

aaurba wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 00:32 [Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters tells the story
The act of sharing a sport, whether or not it is fly-fishing, works to bring a group together. This story is one of my favorite OBC books. I never would have thought to pick it up, but for the reviews. It had a wonderful warm feeling to it. Your review captures some of that.
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The Jewels Of The Rainbow by H.F. Snyder

Post by TCG »

The friendship that exists between the five sisters is amazing. It was an enjoyable read for me.
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

My favorite character in this book was Rose, this book shows us the value of friendship, great review
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 678
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Good point you've raised about the voice used to narrate a story. I enjoyed reading the book as well and I found the bond of love between the five women to be amazing. Lovely review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a wonderful book dealing with friendship. I think I would enjoy it. Thanks for a great review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I loved every page of this book! Amanda was my favorite among the girls :) Great review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like the way the author combines the informative sections about fly fishing with the bonding of the five friends. So many people long for this kind of friendship. This sounds like a heartwarming story. Thanks for the recommendation!
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I equally read this book a while back and admired Sophie for her optimism and open-minded approach towards life. Great review!
Rashida10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashida10.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD

Post by Rashida10 »

The sisters took bonding to a whole new level. Their story involves loving memories. I enjoyed your review. Thanks
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

This is a good review. When I read the book, I really envied the friendship of the five girls. I agree with you that the book has a good source of fly-fishing techniques and skills.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: My Yellow Brick Road by Patrick J Roelle Sr. / Mr. Pat

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I have had a chance to read and review this book myself, and I absolutely loved it! Only thing I didn't like was the habit of catch and release... I could not find a reason to do such a thing. Anyway, as is written above, the book was great! 😊
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
pablo10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo10.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by pablo10 »

The five women bonding over a shared love of fly fishing is a wonderful idea. Beautiful story and a wonderful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”