Review by Ayo k -- Masters and Bastards

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ayo k
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayo-k.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by Ayo k -- Masters and Bastards

Post by Ayo k »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Masters and Bastards" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington is about Andreas Marset, a sixteen-year-old Arpathian soldier with superhuman abilities. He was highly sought by women of the elite for procreation, due to his extraordinary genetic potential. His genetic potential was possible because he was the product of several generations of the very best breeding.

Due to his extraordinary abilities, he excelled in his training in the army and, he got perfect scores in all the tests. These test results caught the attention of Isabella (the Emperor's daughter), who then persuaded Andreas to procreate with her. This child she said will help heal the rift between their people; the Iberians and the Praetorians.

What I liked most about the book was how the writer did justice to the genre. It was packed full of superhuman abilities. I also like the descriptions of the battle scenes. The writer also made use of uncommon words. These words had me racing to my dictionary every single time I came across them. Most of the time, I thought they were typos but was surprised to see that these words existed. I have not learned these many new words in a long while.

One of the things I did not like about the book was the overuse of simile by the writer. Lots of simile were present in the book, from the beginning to the end. Almost every conversation and description had at least one simile embedded in them. These affected the flow of reading and became very annoying at a point. I had to force myself to finish the book.
The writer also used poetic tone in the book, especially in the first few chapters, I found this distracting.

Another thing I do not like about the book was how the writer kept surprising me with new developments about the protagonist. The writer excluded the reader from being aware of how the protagonist discovered more of his abilities. The writer can improve on this by using the appropriate narrative point of view to carry readers along on the journey of self-discovery of the protagonist.

I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I did not rate it 1-star because the paranormal angle and battle scenes were entertaining. I did not rate it 3-stars because the book, I believe, has not been professionally edited as I found multiple typographic errors throughout the book. If the writer can work more on not surprising the readers with the protagonist's evolvement and make use of the appropriate point of view, the book can be amazing.

I would recommend this book to new readers who are adults and like preternatural books. I do not recommend this book to teenagers because of the use of profanity sprinkled throughout the book. I also won't recommend this book for seasoned readers because a lot of the sentence structures in the book were consructed awkwardly. The typos could also be distracting.

The book can be appropriate for teenagers, if only all the profanities can be eliminated.

Masters and Bastards
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”