Review by Kirsi_78 -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Review by Kirsi_78 -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Young and innocent Galen, a refugee from The Land of Princes, continues his adventures in the land of Voulhire. In search of a fresh start to his new life, he seems to be incredibly unaware of the darkness rising everywhere around him and his companions. Galen is sent on a mission by the mayor of Magnum Caelum, his new home town. The journey takes them to Virko, the industrial city that is swearing to the name of modern technology. There, in between the ash-covered streets, they encounter a demon bonded by a complex man named Folcro. The events rapidly take a turn to worse, and in their desperate search of help, Galen and his companions reach towards the church. But is the church willing and able to save the city who so eagerly sacrificed God at the altar of technology? Meanwhile, Meldorath, the most wicked wizard of mankind, is quickly gaining more power. His biggest desire rests in taking over the throne of Yamon Soul, the sacred city. Will he succeed in his attempt to abduct the power from the Eiodi?

After finishing the second book of We are Voulhire series, titled We are Voulhire: the Fires of Virko, I found myself grown deeply fond of young Galen and his companions. I had to watch the poor boy unintentionally walking directly into the monstrous waves of evil that were washing over the land of Voulhire, and I was suddenly struck by the realization that I could not stop reading the series even if I wanted to. But it was not only young Galen who had managed to glue me tightly into my seat. We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko marched some new characters into the spotlight. For example, the oddly twisted but still somehow humanlike demon Sod, who in all his hideousness manages to awaken faint feelings of compassion in the reader’s mind. I believe, creating such adorable and plausible characters are one of the biggest strengths of the author, Matthew Tysz.

Another enjoyable detail worth mentioning is the author’s ability to create an excellent, well-structured story, yet with multiple thrilling layers. Matthew Tysz is unquestionably a gifted storyteller. However, there are other features in this book I was not remarkably pleased with. We are Voulhire: Fires of Virko contains quite an amount of violence and extremely brutal scenes. To my taste, it was slightly too much. As far as I know, every fantasy series has one book which is more twisted and macabre than the others. After all, the darkness must rise before the light can re-enter. However, with this particular story, I felt like the author was seriously stretching the boundaries of good taste. Recognizing myself as a sensitive reader, I was only able to finish this book by relying on the awareness that the darkness will pass.

I gladly recommend this book to every fantasy fan of legal age, with one exception: each sensitive reader should consider twice before opening We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko. I do not feel comfortable recommending this book to minors because of the massive amount of violence and several indications of perverted sexual affections.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko was edited flawlessly. I was able to locate only one typing mistake. As is mentioned above, this book also earned my full respect for the character development and excellent storyline. Regardless, I am willing to rate this book only 3 out of 4 stars. I cannot give a full rating with a good conscience to a book that consists of such a horrific amount of violence and dismal outbreaks of pure evil. However, I am looking forward to reading the story further and reaching the point in this series, when the time comes for the light to re-enter.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirsi
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The City We Became
Bookshelf Size: 425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by NetMassimo »

To be fair the outbreak of evil seems one of the series' premises. I read the novel and as soon as I have time I'm going on with its sequel. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

NetMassimo wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 04:55 To be fair the outbreak of evil seems one of the series' premises. I read the novel and as soon as I have time I'm going on with its sequel. Thank you for your great review!
Yes you are right about that, this would be a completely different story without the outbreak of evil 😁 But there are multiple ways of describing that, and I must say the way chosen here was macabre. You'll see what I mean once you read the book 😉Thanks for commenting!
Kirsi
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I absolutely agree with you that the violence in this book was excessive and not necessary. It made me put the series aside for a while, but I still continued with it and loving it so far :) Thanks for this insightful review!
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

I really love the book now. Really a great review. I also liked the characters as much as you did.
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Ellylion wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 07:43 I absolutely agree with you that the violence in this book was excessive and not necessary. It made me put the series aside for a while, but I still continued with it and loving it so far :) Thanks for this insightful review!
I am planning to read further, too. I am counting on the fact that there has to be a turn to better at some point!
Thanks for commenting!
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Star_and_Buck wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 08:51 I really love the book now. Really a great review. I also liked the characters as much as you did.
Thanks for taking the time to read and comment!
Kirsi
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Indeed, Folcro is a complex man. As for the darkness, it just contributes to the ambience. I think It spiced up the story. Lovely review, Kirsi.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Its unfortunate you had to drop a star because the book was too dark. I mean Folcro did do some MADNESS! I think its fair that a star had to be dropped. Thanks for an insightful review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Olabode Joshua wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 08:55 Indeed, Folcro is a complex man. As for the darkness, it just contributes to the ambience. I think It spiced up the story. Lovely review, Kirsi.
It is interesting to see what comes out of Folcro when the story develops.

Thanks for your kind words!
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

rahilshajahan wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 09:50 Its unfortunate you had to drop a star because the book was too dark. I mean Folcro did do some MADNESS! I think its fair that a star had to be dropped. Thanks for an insightful review!
I am aware that I might be more sensitive to this kind of stuff than many others. But for me it was just too much... otherwise, I am loving this series! Thanks for commenting!
Kirsi
Divergent_2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divergent-2020.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Divergent_2020 »

Oh god! Am reading this book right now and it does get dark. Although am not that sensitive, I am also relying on the hope that in the end it will get better. Kudos on the review. It's very honest and well-written!
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Divergent_2020 wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 04:19 Oh god! Am reading this book right now and it does get dark. Although am not that sensitive, I am also relying on the hope that in the end it will get better. Kudos on the review. It's very honest and well-written!
dark indeed it is... Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! :D
Kirsi
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I haven't read the first book of this series so maybe We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko isn't the best choice for me but I enjoyed reading your beautifully written review nonetheless. Thank you!
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Dominik_G wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 06:39 I haven't read the first book of this series so maybe We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko isn't the best choice for me but I enjoyed reading your beautifully written review nonetheless. Thank you!
Yes, you are right. If you want to read this it is better to start with the first book of the series.

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment! 😊
Kirsi

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”