Review by raeleecious -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raeleecious
Currently Reading: First Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raeleecious.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by raeleecious -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's...

Post by raeleecious »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz is a magical fantasy book. The book is about the city of Voulhire, the capital, where power flows and evil resides. The city of Voulhire is well-developed with a magnificent legislative council team. The city is rich and prosperous and gives the impression of safety to the neighboring lands that surround it, which makes it a goal destination for those who desire a better life. After some time spent in the land, Galen is realizing that there is more to the capital than the infallibility it projects.

While Galen continues to comprehend this place, an unexpected event happened. An unidentifiable assassin attacked the kingdom during a court hearing and tried to take the king's life. As a result of such a jarring occurrence, the king demanded extra security for the kingdom, but no level of security could bring an end to the upcoming catastrophe.

The story is a thrilling read right until the end of the book, which just leaves the reader wanting for more. I liked the powerful set of characters and the dialogues. The story was solid and I was able to vividly visualize the scenes in my head like it was a movie. What I loved about the book is the development of Meldorath. He went from prisoner to Eiodi and has immense power enough to place whom he wants as king.

My aversion to this book however was the diversity in narration. The author kept switching from first-person to third-person which was kind of confusing and made it a bit difficult for me to follow the story without disruption. Also, I wasn't impressed with Galen's adventures in the book. I felt like his character was understated and the author could have developed it more and I kept looking forward to it but was disappointed. I am curious to see how Galen and his companions would cross the upcoming hurdles ahead of them. For the above reasons, I'm giving the book 3 out of 4 stars.

This book is professionally edited and contains vulgar language like "f**k", although it doesn't have any sex scene. Because of that, I would recommend this book to young readers and adults. If you are new to this series, I strongly recommend that you start from the first book because I do not think this book was intended to be a stand-alone story. Many mysteries and secrets were unraveled, so if you start from this book you might get lost.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”