Review by Sandiso05 -- Worldlines by Adam Guest

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sandiso05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandiso05.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Review by Sandiso05 -- Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Sandiso05 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Worldlines" by Adam Guest.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You will never die!

Hold on, before you think you`re immortal, this is what Adam Guest has to say in his book Worldlines . Adam Guest challenges the notion of death in this novel. Are you truly dead when you kick the bucket?

Adam Guest gives us many worlds differentiated by color code lines, red, blue and green. Each world has the main character Gary Jackson who experiences different life trajectories. Gary Jackson in the Blue worldline is a physics student who experiences a near death experience. However, his counterpart Gary Jackson in the Red worldline is not so lucky. He gains life damaging injuries from the same incident.

The book Wordlines explores the theory of consciousness. It argues that whether someone is hallucination or dreaming, everything you experience is real. Well, at least in other worlds. Gary Jackson in the Red worldline commits a crime whilst dreaming. However, his doppelganger in the Blue worldline faces life in prison for a crime he did not commit. Gary Jackson in Red worldline thinks he has enacted his grievances guilt free until Mary' O Brien, his girlfriend`s mother who suffers from dementia witnesses his crime in another world.

The guilty Gary Jackson decides to right his wrongs by enlisting help from his doppelganger in the Green world where this crime has not been committed. However, successfully providing help without sounding insane proves to be difficult.

The element I liked about Worldlines is how Adam Guest carries his theme and tone well. This is evident in how he presents a descriptive picture of his many worlds. In addition, his characters are tangible and help push forward his idea as well as plot. His idea forces you to think about the choices you make consciously or subconsciously.

The element I did not like about this book is the long paragraphs. Adam guest sometimes goes of tangent whilst being descriptive. However, I really appreciate the suspenseful theme he builds. He does this by using the themes scientific logic vs the common sense of society. This is shown when Gary Jackson in the green worldline tries to build solid evidence to save his doppelganger who has just had his world turned to ashes.

Although this book merits a full score, I give it a 3 out of 4 . The long paragraphs made me lose my reading place a couple of times.

Worldlines
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”