Review by Thomps52 -- Irma's Daughters by Jennie Linnane

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Thomps52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thomps52.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Review by Thomps52 -- Irma's Daughters by Jennie Linnane

Post by Thomps52 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Irma's Daughters" by Jennie Linnane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Irma’s Daughters is a sequel to Ironbark Hill, which I did not read. I think that reading the first book would have given me more insight into understanding the characters. Even so, I found the book to be an easy read and an enjoyable story.

This is a story narrated by Natalie Chapman who is the eldest of Irma’s daughters. It tells each of the daughter’s stories from her point of view. The book is divided into two parts. In the first, Natalie is a young girl working as a housekeeper for a wealthy couple. She often takes on the role of caregiver for her mother, grandfather, her sisters and her brother. Throughout the story, she develops unlikely friendships, and dreams of finding a partner for herself. As she supports the people in her life, her own dream of finding love does not happen for her. In the second part, she is nearly 50 years old reflecting on events in her life, it seems that her dream will finally come true. It is after she has spent most of her life supporting her family and her sisters have grown to have their own families that she finds someone for herself.

The author, Jennie Linnane, does a great job introducing the reader to the characters, but often left me wanting more. What I disliked most about this book was the lack of substance around the main character, Natalie. I really wanted to see something more happen for her in her life, but she was fine with being the caretaker and nurturer for others. As I grew to like the character, I found this disappointing. Perhaps I would have understood Natalie more if I had read the first book in the series.

What I liked most about this book is that it was well written. I think the author did an excellent job with the characters, because they are all very likable and interesting. The story was very easy to follow and enjoyable. I would however recommend reading the first book in the series before starting this one.

I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was an easy read and I feel that the characters are relatable. This book describes poverty, abuse and racism, so anyone uncomfortable with these issues may want to avoid this book. It does not have any graphic sexual content or foul language, so it would be fine for a younger reader.

Irma's Daughters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”