Review by TaylorNichole113 -- Devil Among Us

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TaylorNichole113
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylornichole113.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Review by TaylorNichole113 -- Devil Among Us

Post by TaylorNichole113 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Devil Among Us" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick is the second novel in the series, but I read it as a stand-alone book. Winnick grabs you from the first chapter as you are taken to a Synagogue bombing through the eyes of one of the bombers. After the first chapter, you dive into an action-packed thriller investigating the Synagogue bombing with FBI Agent, Lara Edmond, and Mossad Agent, Uri Levin. It is clear from the beginning there is a connection between the two agents that is more than just professional.

As Lara and Uri navigate through the clues that lead them to a small town in Texas, they realize this investigation may be larger than anyone thought. Lara and Uri quickly find themselves in the middle of a teetering alliance between Israel and the United States. As they investigate not only the newly created havoc between the two countries, they find themselves navigating their feelings for each other as well.

I was hesitant to read book 2 from the series first, but the author does a great job of getting you immediately invested in Lara and Uri’s relationship. The two had worked together in Chicago 5 years prior to this case and developed an attraction to each other there. Once their work in Chicago was done, they went their separate ways and had not seen each other since. The passion and respect they have for each other is immediately brought back into play as soon as they reconnect.

My likes and dislikes are quite disproportionate to each other with the former easily outweighing the latter. I liked the thrill of the action and suspense that is there until the very end. The relationship between Uri and Lara adds a nice piece of comedic relief, even when they are on the brink of their potential death. The only thing I really disliked about the novel was the abrupt narrative changes between characters. You quickly figure out who is narrating but there is no warning when changing points of view. Because of this, I would rate the book a 3.8 if partial points were allowed.

I rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars. Winnick outdid himself with the second installment in this series. All thriller, crime, and suspense readers need to get their hands on this book and the others in the series. This was an easy read and no prior knowledge about Israel and the United States is needed. Winnick is so knowledgeable and explains things in an easy to understand way. The first book is on my must-read list now, along with the rest of the series.

Devil Among Us
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”