Review by Steph Anie -- Learn to Love: Guide to Healing ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Steph Anie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-anie.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Review by Steph Anie -- Learn to Love: Guide to Healing ...

Post by Steph Anie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life" by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A REVIEW ON: “LEARN TO LOVE- GUIDE TO HEALING YOUR DISAPPOINTING LOVE LIFE.”

The book with the title above was written by Thomas Jordan Ph.D. Reading this book has been an exciting exercise for me considering the fact that my interest in reading is in this genre of books. Just like the title says, it is a guide to healing a disappointing love life, not just a guide but an interesting one at that. Judging from the title of the book, you might think it’s a romantic book but it is not, it is a self-improvement book instead. I would say that Thomas was quite heavy with his words in the sense that he threw his words all at once, and it was not always exciting for me. Thomas did a good job in putting words together, that I must say. He threw in his observations on the types of unhealthy love life- what makes relationships fail and what makes some relationships come into existence at all. The amiable author, Thomas did not make a mistake when he told us that this book is a guide because it really is- has all the formulae, rules and guidelines when it comes to finding love and sustaining it. FINDING LOVE is the theme. This is not a fiction book so don’t expect to see characters and all. It is a non-fiction book with ideas and facts that will sure help your love life. You get to know the important things that make up your love life asides the physical aspect which is also important. Well, I don’t think you will be satisfied if you do not finish this book whenever you start it. I couldn’t stop until I had read it to the end. There is something about the book that words can’t explain but the way more information unfolded played a huge role in the excitement of the read.

Having read this book, I now see the general concept of love in a different light, a positive one though. This book puts you in a deep feeling, emotional like. It gives you the opportunity to reflect on your love life, how you have loved and why, and ways to make things better in the next one, if there is ever a chance for that. You realise that there are so much you do not know about love relationships, it comes to your knowledge that there is a difference between loving someone and being in love with someone. This book is appetizing and it is a must read. Thomas did well in giving a detailed explanation of every part of the book. He did not leave any stone unturned.

In as much as I find this book worth reading, I also find some parts of the book a bit complex, that is, not straightforward. I did not find the entry of the first chapter simple. I would say that he beat around the bush before hitting the nail on the head. Thomas made an effort in trying to make the first paragraph of the book intriguing but I think more effort should have been applied. Like I said earlier, Thomas was heavy with his words, and I think that is what I like the least about the book because I feel that whatever point that was written down should have been done one at a time not altogether. My favourite thing about the book is the fact that he gave detailed explanations of almost everything and this is so because I did not have to stress my brain so much trying to figure out whatever he meant when he dropped each point.

Though the book was professionally edited, there were some slight grammatical errors I sighted while reading the book. We can see some instances in page 11 (paragraph 2, line 5) and in page 14 (paragraph 2, line 3). Aside the grammatical errors, there are some punctuational errors that were noted during the course of the read. I will give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars because the whole idea of the book and the write-up make sense. What I mean is, the reason for the book which is to improve the love relationships of people is a good one. I did not give it a 2 because that is a poor rating for a book with such standards, and I did not give it a 4 either because the book is not exceptionally good. I noticed a case of profanity in page 74 but I will consider it as a “borderline profanity” because I’m not sure if the word is to be considered as a profane word or not.

I hope there is a continuation of this book because there are some questions I need answers to. Without saying much, literally everybody asides the kids can read this book. The only specific audiences I would recommend to not read this book is the children because they do not have an idea on what love relationship is about and they are most likely too young to understand. Are you confused about your love life? Don’t know how to handle your love relationship? Don’t know the dos and don’ts to consider when building a love life? And so many more. Then, this is the right book for you. Enjoy your read!

Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”