Review by mari_crespo -- The Dark Web Murders

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mari_crespo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-crespo.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by mari_crespo -- The Dark Web Murders

Post by mari_crespo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Dark Web Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The dark web is defined to be one of the most dreadful places in our world by many. Anyone would say it's inhuman, and yet there it is, created by humans themselves. This raises questions about our society. Are we really that good? Because sometimes we seem like a sickness to Earth. It raises questions about our individuality, am I really that good? Because we can all hurt life. Maybe this book doesn't mention these questions explicitly, but it sure leaves them in our brain.

The Dark Web Murders is a crime book written by Brian O'Hare with Detective Sheenan as the protagonist. He and his team have been confronted once again with terrible crimes. The case starts with the gruesome murder of Judge Neeson, after that, the case grows into something more intriging with every chapter. With numerous suspects for the murder, this case starts of as a hard one. But it takes a turn into impossible as they find more unusual evidence. The case shows to be larger than expected and unfolds the shocking secrets of the dark web.

This plot is engaging and mysterious at the same time, it gives the reader the perfect amount of information for them to be actively part of the case without it being obvious or expected. The stressful atmosphere of the story is perfectly contrasted with the little moments of peace the author gives us sometimes in which we get to know each character better. I also have to admit that the grammar and spelling in this book is admirably executed. I was unable to find a mistake in the book making it clear that it was professionally edited.

Even though I loved the plot and writing style of the story there were some things which I disliked, the antagonism given to minorities being one of them. Most of the adversaries in this book are part of a minority or a group of people who are segregated in real life. This means that most poc and lgbt+ characters were criminalized and the few female characters that there were were framed as sensible and delicate. There was even one time in which a female character spoke out about this and was framed as dramatic. So as much as I loved the plot, the treatment of the characters took away some of the magic of this book from me.

Despite of the criticism this book was a remarkable experience, however I wouldn't recommend The The Dark Web Murders for younger audiences since it talks about various delicate and erotic topics. It would be more appropriate for young adults and so on, especially if any of them are crime and thriller fans. At the end of the day, I will give this book a four out of four. Its story was correlated and connected, which left no plot holes and the way the plot escalated had me on edge most of the time. It was certainly an enjoyable experience, I hope you like it too.

The Dark Web Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nichole Kurns
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Still Life
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nichole-kurns.html
Latest Review: Intricate Mandalas with Inspirational Quotes: by Big Initial Studios

Post by Nichole Kurns »

Great review. I love Brian O’Hare’s writing. He is able to grab and keep their readers attention. The plot was intriguing and I didn’t guest the ending at all.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”