Review by SpiritWhisper -- How To Be Successful

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
VVaishali
Favorite Book: Big Magic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vvaishali.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by SpiritWhisper -- How To Be Successful

Post by VVaishali »

[Following is a volunteer review of "How To Be Successful" by M. Curtis McCoy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How to be successful: Think like a leader by M. Curtis McCoy is a short, crisp and ingenious compendium that stays true to its title and gives tips and insights on how to become successful upheld by the stories of leaders who have achieved their desired success in life. The author has managed to keep their accounts concise by introducing a 15-line questionnaire to these successful entrepreneurs from different domains ranging from a US Navy SEAL sniper to a pastor, CMO, musician, publisher and authors. These interviews are conflated with lessons and wisdom that the author has espoused from personal experience.

M. Curtis McCoy is an author, business owner, and keynote speaker, who was diagnosed with type-1 diabetes at 27 months old. However, the author never let it become a setback and achieved success in various industries by the age of 27. This was not all, at 27 he was diagnosed with brain cancer, which he fought and made a comeback with the help of his family and re-establishes himself into the business. The author mentions in the book that
“Life is what you decide to make of it.”
Hence, he opens the book by asking the readers to look for excuses that prevent an individual from pursuing their goals forestalling their success, and ends on giving a reality check on what happens ‘after’ one achieves success. In between the author, through a lot of stories, gives multiple lessons on developments and improvements crucial on the journey to success. Some of these include delayed gratification, developing new and quality friendships, and tips on personality development.

Though the knowledge and wisdom acquired by the author from his impediments and experiences in life are perspicacious and inspiring, the glimpse that one gets into the lives of the 8 successful mentors through their interviews escalates the interest in the book. Through these interviews, the readers shall get inside stories of how the ‘success laid in the process’ of these individual’s journeys. It also gives the impression of their thought process. It is also interesting to note how each individual holds some very different and some similar opinions and ideas about success, opportunities and its management, daily improvements, inspirations in life and valuable character traits.

I also liked how the author has presented an interview of himself, hence asking what does he mean by success. This made me realize how many times we seek answers from others, relying on other people’s principles and ideas of success and ways of achieving it, than developing one for ourselves. The readers can try and implement some of the author’s questions to themselves which can help them develop their understanding and criteria for success. I also loved the fact of how the author has not tried to paint a picture-perfect scene, giving guides and pointed methods of achieving success. Rather, the author has shared some harsh realities of getting into business or entrepreneurship and also burst the myth about an “overnight success”.

There were also a few sections in the book that the author has mentioned and presented in a manner that gives freedom to let the readers analyze it for themselves and subsequently make an informed decision. I appreciate how the author has kept the book to the point, without exaggerating the individual ideas and lessons. This made the content to not feel overwhelming and easy to read. I also liked the various book references from different interviewers. However, the author also being a strong believer makes a few scriptural references to support a few of his ideas. These mentions of Christian faith in the book by the author and some interviewers can be off-putting to people who don’t entrust into such ideas.

With only 185 pages long, the book has a lot to offer, as it talks majorly about an overall success than success into new or established businesses. The book also appeared to be scrumptiously edited and hence I will like to give the book a 4 out of 4 stars rating. The book gives insight from people’s stories before they became a success which can be very motivational and insightful for aspiring entrepreneurs. Though I will not like to restrict it to only entrepreneurs as the lessons on personality development and friendship shall prove beneficial to anyone and everyone. I believe it will be a worthwhile and quick read providing valuable perspective to people aspiring for overall success.

How To Be Successful
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I admire how the author has been able to rise above the obstacles in his life and achieve success. This seems like a wonderful book to inspire people. Thanks for a great review!
VVaishali
Currently Reading:

Post by VVaishali »

Prisallen wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 08:05 I admire how the author has been able to rise above the obstacles in his life and achieve success. This seems like a wonderful book to inspire people. Thanks for a great review!
I greatly appreciate your time in reading my review. Thanks :)
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Curtis doesn't believe in overnight success; the level of our success depends on what we do on a daily basis to improve ourselves.
VVaishali
Currently Reading:

Post by VVaishali »

Tablito wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 13:25 Curtis doesn't believe in overnight success; the level of our success depends on what we do on a daily basis to improve ourselves.
Yes, that's true. This is what the author has expressed in this book. Thanks for taking out the time to read my review. :tiphat:
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

I have heard about this book a lot now and I definitely want to give this one a try. Vaishali you have given a thorough review here and i love how you have explained what to expect from the book. Thanks for sharing.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D
VVaishali
Currently Reading:

Post by VVaishali »

aby johnson wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 04:01 I have heard about this book a lot now and I definitely want to give this one a try. Vaishali you have given a thorough review here and i love how you have explained what to expect from the book. Thanks for sharing.
The book is short but has a lot to offer. I hope you enjoy reading it. Thank you for your kind words. And I appreciate your time in reading my review. :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

All of the interviews sounds interesting and informative. It seems like it could help many. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kevivas03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html

Post by Kevivas03 »

Interesting take on the book. I enjoyed it too. Your review is top notch!
VVaishali
Currently Reading:

Post by VVaishali »

kandscreeley wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 13:40 All of the interviews sounds interesting and informative. It seems like it could help many. Thanks!
Thank you for your kind words.
VVaishali
Currently Reading:

Post by VVaishali »

Kevivas03 wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 14:45 Interesting take on the book. I enjoyed it too. Your review is top notch!
Thank you for the kind words and for taking out time to read my review. I enjoyed reading your review too. :)
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

This was a really good book that I read and reviewed as well! I enjoyed reading the interviews with various people and their success stories a lot. Thank you for this lovely review! :)
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

I have such big dreams and high goals, and non of them involve me being an employee for long a period of time. So, I classify myself as an aspiring entrepreneur. This book is just what I need to motivate myself to pursue my dreams without fear of the unknown. And I can use the wisdom contained in this book to pave my way to the success that I am willing to work hard for. I also admire the perseverance displayed by the author in dealing with life's hurdles.
Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

The interviews in this book sound fascinating! Thank you for a great review!
VVaishali
Currently Reading:

Post by VVaishali »

SamaylaM wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 02:15 This was a really good book that I read and reviewed as well! I enjoyed reading the interviews with various people and their success stories a lot. Thank you for this lovely review! :)
Thank you for reading my review! :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”