Review by Twylla -- Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Review by Twylla -- Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

Post by Twylla »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superbugs" by Tayma Tameem.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Superbugs by Tayma Tameem, people live in a “Mad Max” version of the future where human beings have become their own worst enemy. Ever since the COVID-19 virus surfaced in 2020, there has been one virus after another. In the year 2090, most people don't have jobs. The public education system has ceased to exist. People live in a state of semi-permanent lock-down, on the run from cure crews, cannibal gangs, the military, and the police. To make matters worse, the government manipulates citizens by rationing essential services and spewing propaganda.

The main character, Lily Brayburn, lost her entire family in the pandemic. She found her way to a residential building near the ocean, and the residents there became her new family. Lily serves as the building leader, taking care of supplies and safety. Lily rescued Mabel, a 17-year-old pregnant escapee from the Novel Corporation Detention Center.

Lily is an interesting character. Despite the chaos and hopelessness all around her, Lily shows incredible commitment, courage, and wisdom in her role as the building leader. She is determined to make life more livable for the residents in her building. Lily didn't hesitate to give Mabel sanctuary in their building, even though taking in a fugitive put all the other residents at risk of being arrested. When Lily spoke to the residents about Mabel, all but one agreed that Mabel should stay with them. The friendship between Lily and Mabel was one of my favorite things about the book.

There were many humorous moments in the storyline. My favorite was the discussion of Nutraloaf, a food staple manufactured by the government. Other strangely amusing highlights include the cannibal gang that calls themselves “Chew You Once, Shame on Me,” a popular children's TV show produced by the government called “Rat Man Roger's Neighborhood,” and religious fanatics who worship the coronaviruses.

I noticed a couple of things that were inconsistent with life in a Pandemic Era. Meals in Lily's building were served buffet-style. A buffet is very conducive to the spread of disease. Residents were not periodically tested to be sure they were virus-free. They should have at least tested Mabel when she was brought into the building. She could have exposed all of the residents to a virus.

Superbugs is well-written and professionally edited. Tayma Tameem is a gifted author with a unique writing style. I loved the unique and funny little phrases that Tayma Tameem would insert into the story. I only found a few minor typos. There is nothing about this book I didn't like. The characters were interesting, and they had depth and substance. The story was realistic and believable, although I hope this never becomes our reality! I am giving this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to anyone who likes a dark futuristic sci-fi thriller with a dab of humor.

Superbugs
View: on Bookshelves
VVaishali
Favorite Book: Big Magic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vvaishali.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VVaishali »

This book seems very relatable to the current times. It is already very hard to go through one incurable virus spread globally I can't even imagine a future full of such incurable diseases bringing threat, hopelessness, unemployment and dirty politics into the picture. As the author has presented it with a dab of humor, I guess it will be an enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing such an insightful review. :)
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

If this is 2090, is there more modern inventions in place to beat the superbugs? I wonder. Thanks for your review.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

Hopefully this is not the way the future really happens! One bad pandemic was enough! Sounds like a good story. Great review.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”