Review by _claudi_ -- The Commander by Dan E. Hendrickson

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Review by _claudi_ -- The Commander by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by _claudi_ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Commander" by Dan E. Hendrickson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Commander by Dan Hendrickson is an action/thriller novel that is mostly based on the life of Commander Edwards. Commander Edwards was well respected among his peers, primarily due to his diligence and dynamic approach towards his work. His attitude, however, earned him a coveted job on the Hamilton-class cutter, a prestigious ship that any coast guard would love to command. Apart from Commander Edwards' attitude towards work, he had special forces training, and I would like to think that it was one of the criteria that led to him chosen for the job. Commander Edwards' new job was a very high profile and a top-secret job that required him to get orders directly from the United States' president. As a coast guard, his principal mission on his new assignment was to monitor and stop an imminent terror attack targeting the oil production of the United States along the Gulf of Mexico.

The promotion of Commander Edwards did not go well with a particular senior official who had hoped it was his son who would hold the position. We all know that jealousy can drive people to do the unexpected. This, however, led Boris Rasmov, a Russian mercenary contracted by one of the Saudi Royal Family's sons, to convince the Harrisons to divulge privileged information about the mission given to Commander Edwards. Will the mercenary be successful? Or will Commander Edwards live up to expectations and thwart the terrorist attack on time?

The Commander by Dan Hendrickson is a must-read for people who do not mind military actions. The most important things I got to learn were the role of the coast guard in national security, the hierarchy in their system, and how they fit into the navy section of the national security. My favorite feature of this book is the character depth. Readers would get a complete understanding of the characters, as the author did well in explaining the responsibilities of each character in simple words much so that it was easy to imagine the storyline as I read the book.

The plot in the book is impressive. It connects the reader to the action with each page as it’s flipped. We also get to see the terrorists' point of view, their preparation, and how Commander Edwards tries to counter their attack. Furthermore, it is important to note that The Commander by Dan Hendrickson is a well-edited book, as I did not find any errors throughout my read, and this ensured that my reading flow was maintained throughout.

My main issue with the book has to do with the lack of suspense. It was always easy to decipher what was going to happen next in the story. Perhaps more effort should have been put into adding a little bit of suspense by creating a mystery that would have kept readers on the edge of their seats.

The Commander by Dan Hendrickson deserves a rating of 4 out of 4, as it has no typographical, spelling, or grammatical errors. The story is also descriptive, informative, and comprehensively detailed. The book is suitable for all types or readers, as it does not contain slanderous, lewd, or inappropriate words. It does not have sexually explicit scenes that may be inappropriate for any reader. Readers who like action/thrillers would love this story, as it incorporates thrilling themes, such as insurgency, crime, and covert operations.

The Commander
View: on Bookshelves
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

And that's how nepotism got at the neck of Edwards. thanks for the engaging review.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
BookBoyP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookboyp.html
Latest Review: Purges of the Soul by Cathy S Birn

Post by BookBoyP »

Though this sounds intriguing, military books are not my guilty pleasure, so I'll pass on this one. Nonetheless, readers who enjoy this genre will enjoy the nonstop action and political secrets. The author appears to have created well-developed characters and a likable protagonist. Good review.
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Praise George-kayode »

I sincerely hope Edwards was successful in saving the day and stopping the terrorists. I enjoy books that are full of action and exhilaration. Good review.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

This appears to be an action-packed thriller that deals with terrorism, military and politics. Nice review.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

This fast-paced thriller novel feels like something you could read in a short period.  The various points of view are easy to understand. Good review.
Kemmy11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemmy11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kemmy11 »

It seems like it'll be packed with action, suspense, and intrigue. Would make a fantastic movie. Good review.
Mvjdarling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvjdarling.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Mvjdarling »

This is an action-packed book ready to take the reader on a thrilling ride. I appreciate the concept of looking at things from the terrorists' point of view. It provides the reader with insight into both sides. Well-written review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think the book has film potential. Thanks for the good review.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Post by Standor5865 »

This action-packed novel is about terrorism and how Edwards was chosen to lead the counter-terrorism mission. Despite the fact that some people were dissatisfied with the commander's selection, he did not disappoint. Good review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”