Review by Josephe-Anne -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Review by Josephe-Anne -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of ...

Post by Josephe-Anne »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When magic and faith have been forgotten, what evils lurk in Voulhire’s most industrialized city? We Are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz is not a tale for the faint of heart. In this second installment of the We Are Voulhire fantasy series, Galen and his companions, Rowan and Demetrius, set out on a mission to procure iron for the village of Magnum Caelum. However, as soon as they arrive in Virko, they sense a lingering darkness in the air, and it isn’t just the ash belching out of the factory smokestacks. Even though capitalism has driven its economic development, the deadly sins of greed and lust have taken root in this place. While Virko’s patriarch is gravely ill, his devious son is plotting his own agenda. With danger afoot, will Galen and his friends accomplish their task and make it out alive? In addition to the physical world of the Cosmos and the magical world of Caromentis, a third universe – Alitheia the spirit world – is revealed. Amid the chaos, it seems that all three realms are overlapping.

The cover image depicts a scene from the book in which a hooded man plays a violin. With a black background and shadows obscuring the stranger’s face, the art is intriguing. Inside the book, the map of Voulhire is present again, and the unnumbered chapters are named according to which characters they are focused on. In this complex narrative, the main themes are magic, spirituality, jealousy, and revenge. There is also a fair amount of economics and politics. The story seemed simultaneously long and short because of how the plot plodded along for most of the book, but then the pace rapidly increased toward the end. The text contains violence and profanity, but it appears to be professionally edited as I only found one negligible error.

In his signature style, the author has woven an intricate web of interconnected subplots and backstories. Besides Galen (a humble refugee turned blacksmith), Rowan (Galen’s rambunctious executor friend), and Demetrius (a stoic monk/mage), several other characters appear as the story unfolds. Early on, readers are introduced to the enigmatic Hans Hrelek. As the town founder’s son, there is a lot of power at stake for the reclusive, young heir. Kayden Morgan is another young aristocrat from Virko. Like Hans, Kayden has many secrets to hide. Having grown up together, their paths cross again in adulthood. Outside of Virko, the Eiodi is the head of the fictional Church of Destinism (like the Pope at the Vatican). He seeks to discover the sources of a mysterious magical force and an unusual virus that have manifested. Finally, the evil Lord Meldorath continues to brood as he waits for the right opportunity to strike.

Matthew Tysz is certainly a great storyteller with a talent for creating memorable characters. Despite the author’s apparent morbid fascination with the more unsavory qualities of mankind, he shows the boundless capabilities of the human will. Brilliantly yet tragically, the plot illustrates how villains and heroes are shaped by their experiences. Furthermore, the story was filled with unexpected twists and suspense that kept me on the edge of my seat.

As captivating as the story is, it is also exceedingly dark. Rape is described in vague detail, and the text is filled with stomach-churning descriptions of torture. This book contains some of the most horrifying murder scenes that I have ever read. Even though I appreciate the fact that the “good guys” are not presented as flawless, their vices and selfish tendencies were a bit too extreme for my taste. The sexuality of several characters was discussed at length, and I felt that this was overemphasized just because sex sells and LGBTQ issues are popular now. Also, none of the main characters are female. So, the women were sort of there but not really there. Similarly, there seemed to be a lot of “disposable” characters who didn’t contribute much to the overall story. Additionally, Galen is supposed to be the main protagonist, but (just as in the first book) he took a back seat in the plot.

Even though the book was very gruesome and needlessly lewd at times, it was certainly a page-turner that held my attention from start to finish. Clearly, the author was going for the shock factor, and he succeeded. Matthew Tysz has penned an awe-inspiring adventure that beckons to those brave enough to embark on the journey. Due to all of the aforementioned factors, I have chosen to rate We Are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko 3 out of 4 stars. Dark fantasy fans should enjoy this book. I, for one, am curious to find out what happens next in the series.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your detailed review. This series is indeed quite well-crafted with good character developments. Still, the first instalments are quite dreadful with many bloody scenes.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

I really enjoyed the first book and want to continue the series. Therefore, I greatly appreciate you talking about the overemphasized sexual content, too many disposable characters, and darker themes. I'll be cautious of those and hopefully, read it. Excellent review!
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Sou Hi wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 21:08 Thanks for your detailed review. This series is indeed quite well-crafted with good character developments. Still, the first instalments are quite dreadful with many bloody scenes.
I agree with you. Thank you for stopping by to comment.
🙂
― Horace Mann
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

Your analysis on the characters is very insightful. I liked that you mentioned the overemphasized sexual content, the lack of female characters, and the inclusion of “disposable” characters. Great job!
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

SamaylaM wrote: 24 Nov 2020, 02:06 I really enjoyed the first book and want to continue the series. Therefore, I greatly appreciate you talking about the overemphasized sexual content, too many disposable characters, and darker themes. I'll be cautious of those and hopefully, read it. Excellent review!
lavenderbooks20 wrote: 24 Nov 2020, 05:39 Your analysis on the characters is very insightful. I liked that you mentioned the overemphasized sexual content, the lack of female characters, and the inclusion of “disposable” characters. Great job!
There weren't really any sexually explicit scenes. However, the characters' sexual orientations were a central aspect in the plot and I thought that this overemphasis was unnecessary. Lewd humor was also a factor.

Thank you both for commenting.
:D
― Horace Mann
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I agree with your review, and I liked most your observation that the book "seemed simultaneously long and short". I felt the same way :). Great job with the review!
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 03:49 I agree with your review, and I liked most your observation that the book "seemed simultaneously long and short". I felt the same way :). Great job with the review!
Thank you so much for stopping by to read my review and leave a comment.
😊
― Horace Mann
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I can't believe that I only read the first installment of the series. I am missing a lot. Thanks for the awesome review and recommendation.
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Saint Bruno wrote: 28 Nov 2020, 20:40 I can't believe that I only read the first installment of the series. I am missing a lot. Thanks for the awesome review and recommendation.
You're welcome. This is a very interesting series.

I appreciate your comment.
😄
― Horace Mann
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I've read the first book of the series, and even though I'm not generally into fantasy, I enjoyed it a lot. We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko is definitely on my list. Thank you for your excellent and insightful review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read the first book of this series with pleasure. Despite its darkness, I plan to go on with its sequels as soon as possible. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Dominik_G wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 06:02 I've read the first book of the series, and even though I'm not generally into fantasy, I enjoyed it a lot. We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko is definitely on my list. Thank you for your excellent and insightful review!
You're welcome. I hope you enjoy it. Thank you for your comment.
😊
― Horace Mann
Josephe-Anne
Currently Reading:

Post by Josephe-Anne »

NetMassimo wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 06:23 I read the first book of this series with pleasure. Despite its darkness, I plan to go on with its sequels as soon as possible. Thank you for your great review!
You're most welcome. Thank you for your response. 😊
― Horace Mann
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

It's nice there are more characters on the way. The first book that I read was lacking in major characters. Thanks for your review.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”