Review by Shahina C A -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shahina C A
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shahina-c-a.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Review by Shahina C A -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shahina C A »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tom Olsen and two of his friends were preparing for an adventurous journey. That's when 13-year-old Sarah Cooley appeared at Tom's door. She claimed to be his granddaughter. Tom was very angry about the sudden appearance of her. But later he was ready to take her with him on his journey. He thought that this adventurous trip would teach Sarah a lesson. So they started their journey. But before they reached their destination, Sarah went missing. Where did Sarah go? Can they find her? If they ever find her, then will their journey be the same as they decided before? And also are they leading Sarah to a wilderness journey? Or is Sarah leading them?

Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon is the first tale in the Strong Heart series. This tale set in the unforgiving landscape of the Olympic Peninsula wilderness and the North Pacific Coast. The author has been able to incorporate many elements such as fantasy, adventure, magical realism, survival and deep history in this book. This book is arranged in such a way that it is a story that is a complete fantasy within a story that seems to be realistic. The author's very simple writing style is understandable even to small children is commendable. In this book, Tom says that Sarah has an amazing imagination in a particular situation. But after reading this book, I cannot help but mention the author's amazing imagination power.

What I like most about this book is the character of Sarah. Sarah is the most strong and matured kid I have ever read. At times Sarah seems like an adult to me. She is not afraid of anyone or anything. She knows how to escape from every danger and how to save her companions. That is very impressive. Also, Tom's character was very cute. At first, he was angry with Sarah. But later he felt a closeness to her and reacted perfectly when she had a problem. That was very attractive.

My least favourite part of this book is the second story of the book. When that fantasy story came inside a realistic story, it seemed to me that the two did not fit together. I did not like the way the second story was told.

I recommend this book to all types of readers. It is very suitable for those who like more fantasy and magical realism. This book is written in a very simple language. So the beginner readers also can read it. It is also suitable for children as there is no profanity or violence in this book. Also, I did not find any errors in this book. So I can say that it is professionally edited.

The first part of this book seemed very interesting to me. So I read it in one sitting. But when the other story started, my interest diminished somewhere. So I'm giving this book a 3 out of 4 stars rating.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I read the second book of the series and enjoyed it very much. The fantasy element wasn't seen in that book, though. Wonderful review!
Noelle770
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noelle770.html
Latest Review: The Tattered Black Book by Lexy Duck

Post by Noelle770 »

Sarah seems like an excellent character. Thanks for the informative review!!
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

Yes, it seems Sarah is the character with a strong heart. Thanks for your review.
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

This seems like a great book that raises curiousity. I wonder how Tom doesn't know who her granddaughter is. Amazing review.
Ayora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayora.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ayora »

Quite an intriguing plot. Thanks for a detailed review.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

I haven't read any of Charlie Sheldon's books. Also, I love that this book explores topics I find fascinating. Coupled with a well-written review, I'll give this a try.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The book seems very intriguing and the plot promises excitement. Thanks for the good review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”