Review by aodonnell -- East Wind, 2nd edition

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
aodonnell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aodonnell.html
Latest Review: Cristos Rising by B.T. Findley

Review by aodonnell -- East Wind, 2nd edition

Post by aodonnell »

[Following is a volunteer review of "East Wind, 2nd edition" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

East Wind is Jack Winnick’s first installment of the Lara Edmonds and Uri Levin series. Lara is an FBI agent and computer whiz who has been monitoring correspondence ever since an Israeli raid led by Uri provided some intel on potential terrorist attacks on U.S. soil. After a bomb explodes in LA, Lara and Uri become the two-man frontline, racing against the clock to figure out where and when the next attack might happen. Not only do U.S. lives depend on it, but so does the relative stability of the entire Middle East and American support of Israel.

One of the things I enjoyed most about this book—and about Winnick’s writing in general—is how he gives perspectives for all that is going on and develops even the underlying villain characters. Showing his knowledge of the Middle East, Winnick is able to create compelling characters with depth, even if they are the bad guys you don’t really want to understand.

One thing I didn’t particularly care for was the sexualization of Lara by Uri early on in their relationship. While I realize that men are physically attracted to women, it felt at times a little bit like Uri was just another guy who suddenly realized how long he’d been alone when a nice body walked by. Having the character get aroused because Lara wears a tight skirt or pants doesn’t really paint Uri in a flattering light. And Lara’s involvement with him (after explicitly noticing his physical interest in her) seems to go against her character’s disdain for the stereotypical way her male colleagues often behave.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, though if half stars were an option I would give it a 2.5 star rating. I can’t say the book was professionally edited, because although the content editing was well done, the book was rife with comma errors, semicolon errors and various formatting issues. While for many people this may not be a make-it or break-it issue, I find it very distracting as it does affect the ability to sink into the story. Additionally, the book had some moments that seemed unrealistic, particularly when the character Walid interviewed for a company and was immediately invited to look at their computer systems to see if he could solve the virus issue.

While this book is a fast-paced adventure story that is great for anyone who loves spy and secret agent books, it certainly won’t be for everyone. It is very evident that it is a pro-U.S. and pro-Israel story and constantly paints Muslim people and nations as radical, violent and generally hateful. The book also contains a brief, mildly erotic sexual encounter and some mild curse words.

East Wind, 2nd edition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

Sadly, this book contains unrealistic moments. I still like the storyline, making it a good book to explore. Great review.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I always see this book on my list. But I haven't gotten a chance to read it. I'm glad I read your review before I chose the book. It sounds like a 'Jack Ryan' style story. The author has a few books of this series, I think? Thanks for your review.
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

I wanted to read this book, but I can't access kindle unlimited. I do love Jack Winnick's style of writing and the way he makes you feel like you're watching a movie. I know this because I've read Devil Among Us, the second installment. Thanks for the honest review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Your review made it sound like an interesting book, albeit some issues and the errors. Excellent review!
aodonnell
Currently Reading:

Post by aodonnell »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 24 Dec 2020, 18:55 I always see this book on my list. But I haven't gotten a chance to read it. I'm glad I read your review before I chose the book. It sounds like a 'Jack Ryan' style story. The author has a few books of this series, I think? Thanks for your review.
Jack Winnick's books do fit neatly in with many popular spy stories. The author has several books in the series, and while they do a get a little repetitive (same general enemies, same ultimate outcome), the author does get rather creative in coming up with plots that keep the stories unique.
aodonnell
Currently Reading:

Post by aodonnell »

Fabulous mind wrote: 24 Dec 2020, 14:57 Sadly, this book contains unrealistic moments. I still like the storyline, making it a good book to explore. Great review.
Throughout the series I think the author struggles with how to move the story along quickly and get his characters into the positions they need to be in. I've noticed a couple instances in different books where characters are given access to computer systems/information in an unrealistic time frame. But I sympathize with the challenge the author faces, because in some ways I think almost anything would be unrealistic in some of his situations. So even though some bits aren't believable, I think Winnick makes up for it with his writing and moving the story along.
Ayora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayora.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ayora »

I actually expected fast-wind to be fast-paced. This is something I would love to read. Thanks for a good review.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Though I haven't read one myself (I'm not into that genre), Jack Winnick's Lara and Uri stories seem to be extremely popular. It's too bad about the errors impacting the enjoyment of the story. Hopefully, they can fix that. Thanks for the review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I had thought about reading several of this author's books and just have not been able to make myself do it. I am not a fan of curse words or erotic scenes. I like mystery books but not ones that portray other countries in a negative light and have unrealistic scenes, those tend to get on my nerves.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”