Review by lavenderbooks20 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Review by lavenderbooks20 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One...

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The year is 1859, and Lily works as a slave for the Adams family. In a dismal and cruel world, Lily finds refuge in the family piano that she secretly plays whenever she’s alone in the house. One day, James Adams, the son of her master, sees her playing the piano and threatens to tell on her. Clearly, a harsh punishment awaits a slave who stealthily uses her master’s possession. However, unbeknownst to Lily, there is more to the incident than she thinks, and her life is just about to begin.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye is a well-written historical romance. The book has non-linear storytelling. The chronological order of events is often interrupted with flashbacks to Lily and James’ childhood. The story is as much about the development of their relationship as it is about Lily’s struggle to become a well-established musician in a society whose good judgment is obscured by bigotry.

I liked Lily’s character development. Due to being a slave her entire life, Lily grew meek and docile. As the story progresses, Lily gains enough confidence to know when to be assertive and when to be kind and forgiving. I additionally liked the exploration of significant themes in this book. The author emphasizes the notion that racism is something people acquire growing up. James is a victim of such a twisted upbringing. James and Lily used to be friends when they were younger until James’ father got in the way. After indoctrinating his son with racist ideals, James started treating Lily differently. Furthermore, the book shows how truly dehumanizing slavery is. In a less severe instance, it’s infuriating how people will not look past the color of Lily’s skin and recognize how much of a skilled pianist she is.

The prose is noteworthy for its poetic writing; it perfectly conveys the characters’ emotions and sentiments. Each chapter opens with a provision from the slave code. This aspect amplifies tension to the narrative, as a reader will get to be aware of the violation the characters may be committing. The book ends with a major cliffhanger, leaving enough anticipation for the sequel.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Prodigy Slave. The text appears professionally edited with little to no errors. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it has several merits, and there is nothing I dislike about it. I recommend this book to anyone who adores historical romance with well-developed characters. The text contains explicit sex scenes that are not suitable for readers younger than eighteen. If you dislike steamy romance novels, this is not the book for you.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I’ve read this book and I enjoyed it. It kept me hooked throughout. Great review!
AnnieOgoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annieogoo.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by AnnieOgoo »

Your review hit the nail on the head! Just lovely.
I'm currently reading this book, and I'm so into it that I'm currently on the third and final book. I'll save my full impression of this book for my review. 😉
Live and let live, baby. :wink:
Justine Ocsebio
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Honest-reviewer wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 13:33 I’ve read this book and I enjoyed it. It kept me hooked throughout. Great review!
thanks for your comment :tiphat:
duskdawn09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by duskdawn09 »

I have always enjoyed reading this genre of novels that take place in the past. Thanks for the recommendation.
~Dawn :tiphat: ~
Justine Ocsebio

AnnieOgoo wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 05:28 Your review hit the nail on the head! Just lovely.
I'm currently reading this book, and I'm so into it that I'm currently on the third and final book. I'll save my full impression of this book for my review. 😉
Thanks for stopping by
Justine Ocsebio

duskdawn09 wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 22:12 I have always enjoyed reading this genre of novels that take place in the past. Thanks for the recommendation.
Thanks for your comment
Amy20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Amy20 »

Novels with history and a little romance is what I am all about. Your review was spot on, almost near perfect and I think I'll start reading this one as my first ever novel in this platform. Thank you for a fabulous review.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Masters, slaves, pianos, and possessions...
It’s nice when an unexpected pianist becomes a prodigy in love! 🎹 Great review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I enjoyed reading the review and I appreciated your recommendation. Great job!
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your informative review. This book seems to do a good job depicting the sensitive topics of slavery and racism. Still, after reading the sample, I think it's kind of traditional, as I have read many books with a similar concept.
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

I have read many nice reviews about this book, but yours is well-detailed. I now know that James wasn't as bad to Lily as his father although the story later changed. I agree with the author when he says that slavery can be dehumanizing. I will have to give it a try. Good job on the review.
KMGR70
Favorite Author: Jeff Menapace
Favorite Book: Bad Games
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmgr70.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 23616

Post by KMGR70 »

I think the musical aspirations is an interesting addition to a historical romance. I'm curious to know how that went in the novel. Thanks for your review!
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

I have recently read and reviewed this book. Loved how the relationship between James and Lily progresses. It was nice to read your perspective on the book. Thanks for a great review!
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

This historical romance is quite a different book .
Interesting characters.
Great reveiw🍀
:tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”